It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:09 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Whey Protein

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Whey Protein

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:29 am

This past weekend I took a client of mine to my secret shopping spots to help him with his diet. He has been in the iron game a long time and even competed in some bodybuilding contests.
To my pleasure they just started making this months cheese, and I was able to purchase some whey. Well to my amazement he had no clue what I was buying and that whey was not a powder. So I thought I would post a picture of what your whey protein starts out as before it has been filtered or whatever your brand does to process it.

This is whey as raw as you can get it and in this state they do not use it as a protein supplement, but as an antibiotic. I also found out that it has a long shelf life, in fact the Amish lady I bought it from has never heard of it going bad. It does need to be refrigerated. The taste.....well it is not offensive, and it is tolerable, but it is not your chocolate cookie dough either :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: Whey Protein

Postby samurai69 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 am

IMO whey like that is a vile taste, and in that small jar looks like a certain type of specemin

though i didnt know it had a long shelf life or was an antibiotic

what do you use it for or do to it???
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:26 pm

I would not put the taste as vile, but it nothing you want to drink 8oz at a time. Stuff like that I would just put in a shot glass and treat it as such.

When I found out it had a super long shelf life, I decided to buy it and just store it so I could try it out as an antibiotic when the time came. It was only a couple of dollars so it is not like I am losing anything.
I think I need to ship some to Cookie, he would make a good beta tester with that cold of his :mrgreen:

They also use it in a variety of recipes, she said it is great for sauerkraut.

I also want to do a little research and see what the protein content would be for say a 2-4oz shot, but personally I really am not planning on using it as a protein supplement unless the numbers are off the chart which I seriously doubt.

And yes it does look like a specimin sample, thanks for reminding me of that fact. I am sure it will remain in the memory banks when it does come time to take a swig of the stuff :finga:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:I would not put the taste as vile, but it nothing you want to drink 8oz at a time. Stuff like that I would just put in a shot glass and treat it as such.

When I found out it had a super long shelf life, I decided to buy it and just store it so I could try it out as an antibiotic when the time came. It was only a couple of dollars so it is not like I am losing anything.
I think I need to ship some to Cookie, he would make a good beta tester with that cold of his :mrgreen:

They also use it in a variety of recipes, she said it is great for sauerkraut.

I also want to do a little research and see what the protein content would be for say a 2-4oz shot, but personally I really am not planning on using it as a protein supplement unless the numbers are off the chart which I seriously doubt.

And yes it does look like a specimin sample, thanks for reminding me of that fact. I am sure it will remain in the memory banks when it does come time to take a swig of the stuff :finga:

that will depend on how easy it slips down :oops:

how strong an antibiotic is it supposed to be

i have had it a few times when making cottage cheese, always just tipped it away as i really dont like the taste

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Not sure if there is much nutritional value in the liquid whey IIRC.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition