It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Hydration

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Hydration

Postby Cookie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Not a very scientific study BUT it does show how much sweat/fluid we can loose in a single training session.

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Hydration

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:57 pm

They call that sweat? They should have contracted me for that study. I easily soak, to the point you can wring them out, 2-3 shirts for my main workouts.

There is little to no question as to the need for hydration during exercise and post exercise. The real question would be if water is best, or a combination of water/sodium, water/lemons, water/sodium/lemons or some other combination.

I like the water/lemon combo, and do notice an improvement in stamina, but I also notice that I tend to not drink as much as I would when consuming just water which leads to getting slightly dehydrated.

I certainly would not think that sewage in the add is superior.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:They call that sweat? They should have contracted me for that study. I easily soak, to the point you can wring them out, 2-3 shirts for my main workouts.

I can loose 2-3kg in 4hours at work during warm periods. And I will be drinking fluids during that time.

There is little to no question as to the need for hydration during exercise and post exercise. The real question would be if water is best, or a combination of water/sodium, water/lemons, water/sodium/lemons or some other combination.

A combination that contains all 4 of the main elements that are lost during sweating is the ideal.

I like the water/lemon combo, and do notice an improvement in stamina, but I also notice that I tend to not drink as much as I would when consuming just water which leads to getting slightly dehydrated.

Because of the presence of lemon in the water there is a slower transitional time through the stomach which would make you feel fuller BUT it should also help the body absorb more of what there is going in.

I certainly would not think that sewage in the add is superior.

You would if they sponsored you :mrgreen:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Cookie wrote:You would if they sponsored you :mrgreen:

:finga:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:

You know I`m right ;-) :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:

You know I`m right ;-) :mrgreen:

Me? Never :^o
:mrgreen:

Not really sure about that one, 50/50 on that one. I would really have to think hard on it to be honest.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Not really sure about that one, 50/50 on that one. I would really have to think hard on it to be honest.

Many have been tempted by the green backs. And many will. Its the way the industry works on all levels.

The thing people need to remember with products like these is to watch then go off & do some of their own research to see where said company got its data from & work out how (if they have) used that data with their product(s). From that point they can decide if its kosher & worth using.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Not really sure about that one, 50/50 on that one. I would really have to think hard on it to be honest.

Many have been tempted by the green backs. And many will. Its the way the industry works on all levels.

The thing people need to remember with products like these is to watch then go off & do some of their own research to see where said company got its data from & work out how (if they have) used that data with their product(s). From that point they can decide if its kosher & worth using.

I know what you are saying and I probably would not let the data sway me too much if cash was on the table to be honest. My first action would be to look at the label and that would tell me whether I could sponsor it or not. Whether it actually did what it advertised or not would be secondary and probably not that big of a factor assuming that I deemed it could do no harm.

Unfortunately I have dug myself into a grave with this sort of stuff having posted and promoted my position towards artificial sweeteners. Looking at the product:
Water, citric acid, mineral salts (sodium chloride, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, potassium phosphate), natural berry flavouring with other natural flavourings, acidity regulator (E332), sweeteners (sucralose, acesulfame K), colour (E133).

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/brands/powerade-zero.html

How could I promote this seriously?
I am sure their is a dollar figure out there that would sway me, but I would have to be really hurting for money to sell out on this. I change my stance on a few things, given their is merit, but with artificial sweeteners their is no way any argument can convince me they are not harmful or anti-productive in any way.
Are you telling me this is the best someone can come up in the company?

Plus, your target audience is kids, when I go swimming and the national teams are their practicing every single kid has a bottle of this or gatorade (which is the more popular of the two). When I see something like all credibility towards the coaching staff go down the tubes.

What would you say these guys/gals are getting paid to endorse the said product? (low end)
Any idea?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Return to Nutrition