It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Non stick

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Non stick

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Looking at getting a new non stick pan but with all the issues about the health issues with traditional non stick cookware I did some searching about & found a ceramic version but have never heard of it before.

Anyone else seen anything?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Non stick

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Cookie wrote:Looking at getting a new non stick pan but with all the issues about the health issues with traditional non stick cookware I did some searching about & found a ceramic version but have never heard of it before.

Anyone else seen anything?

The best I have seen first hand was one made by the swiss, I will see if I can find out the name. It had a diamond surface.
Personally,
I use only cast iron, which is a little bit more work but once you get used to it they are the best and last forever. I have a waffle iron that must be sixty years old and still going strong. I will admit that for waffles a non stick would be better, but only for waffles.
Plus with cast iron you get a hell of a wrist/forearm workout with the larger ones :mrgreen:

Have you used any cast iron cook wear?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 am

been looking for a light ally one to roll up.....just for fun

le cruet are cast iron pans and heat better and last longer

the old oil treated wok is the best for non stick cooking
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 pm

samurai69 wrote:been looking for a light ally one to roll up.....just for fun

I saw Bill Kazmaier roll one up, and it was not so wimpy of a pan, once :shock:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:
samurai69 wrote:been looking for a light ally one to roll up.....just for fun

I saw Bill Kazmaier roll one up, and it was not so wimpy of a pan, once :shock:

my first ever attempt ..... a steel pan, not ally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUfihFqfXIc
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:48 am

freakin awesome dude!
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:The best I have seen first hand was one made by the swiss, I will see if I can find out the name. It had a diamond surface.
Personally,
I use only cast iron, which is a little bit more work but once you get used to it they are the best and last forever. I have a waffle iron that must be sixty years old and still going strong. I will admit that for waffles a non stick would be better, but only for waffles.
Plus with cast iron you get a hell of a wrist/forearm workout with the larger ones :mrgreen:

Have you used any cast iron cook wear?

Had cast iron but couldn`t season it properly to get that non stick effect. I even ended up rusting it :oops:

I have been looking at "bioceramix" but can`t find that many reviews to how good it is.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 am

Had cast iron but couldn`t season it properly to get that non stick effect. I even ended up rusting it :oops:

It takes some trial and error. It has to be good iron to start, not the chinese stuff. It should be pre seasoned by the factory. You can't use any detergent on them, only water and then you have to grease it up right after you rinse it out. Coconut oil works good. It is a pain, but once you get in the habit it is cool.

I have been looking at "bioceramix" but can`t find that many reviews to how good it is.

ceramic was my backup plan. Can't help you with any reviews though, sorry.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Cookie wrote:I have been looking at "bioceramix" but can`t find that many reviews to how good it is.

Bought one of these.

Thoughts so far:

Well made. Extremely slippy surface. No oil necessary when cooking. Seems to distribute the heat very well & gets hot quite quickly. Has a section underneath to help with heating up & stop the pan from warping.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition