It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:49 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

High doses of fish oils

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

High doses of fish oils

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:48 pm

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: High doses of fish oils

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:23 pm

did he say 30-40g of fish oil? :shock:

I sure hope carnitine is a hell of a delivery agent. I am not sure on this one, and not sure I am willing to give it a go.
I am sure it is a hell of a fat loss formula as I would think you would be pooping all day and night long.
I think 2g of krill oil is my limit anything other that things start getting... =; I can only imagine wrestling on a diet that includes 30g of fish oil :shock:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 am

Melas Zomos wrote:did he say 30-40g of fish oil? :shock:

I sure hope carnitine is a hell of a delivery agent. I am not sure on this one, and not sure I am willing to give it a go.
I am sure it is a hell of a fat loss formula as I would think you would be pooping all day and night long.
I think 2g of krill oil is my limit anything other that things start getting... =; I can only imagine wrestling on a diet that includes 30g of fish oil :shock:

i thought the 5 or so fish oil tabs i used to take was hard work

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 am

I was of the impression that high doses of fish oils could react as a blood thinner.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Cookie wrote:I was of the impression that high doses of fish oils could react as a blood thinner.

Yes, you are correct and from my understanding it is not necessarily "high" doses at least if we consider the range now to be 1g-30g. If I remember correctly the point at which it thins blood is around 3g daily. High doses also wreak havoc on the immune system as well as vitamin e absorption.

There is so much wrong with this approach I could right a chapter on it and you know how long my chapters can be. I just can not fathom taking such an amount. Can you imagine the smell of your breath and sweat? Those are the least of the problems.

What they did not discuss is the rest of the diet around taking mega doses. I remember doing a diet once along the lines of the "ultimate/bodyopus" diet that relied on high fats. It certainly burned the fat off, but it created a whole host of other problems that took years to straighten out. Very unhealthy.

Cookie...I double dare you, no triple dare you to do this diet the week before your coal run!
(yes I know you have no fat to burn)
This will make a great poll and betting line for the board on how many times you **** your pants during the contest + I don't think you will have to worry about Samurai hanging around eating you out of house and home after wards either based on what is permeating out of your skin alone. :mrgreen:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:25 pm

it is "pily Quin" after all

what else would you expect

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Yes, you are correct and from my understanding it is not necessarily "high" doses at least if we consider the range now to be 1g-30g. If I remember correctly the point at which it thins blood is around 3g daily. High doses also wreak havoc on the immune system as well as vitamin e absorption.

I`ve done 15 grams a day & TBH got nothing out of it but an empty wallet.

There is so much wrong with this approach I could right a chapter on it and you know how long my chapters can be. I just can not fathom taking such an amount. Can you imagine the smell of your breath and sweat? Those are the least of the problems.

Go for it. :grin:

What they did not discuss is the rest of the diet around taking mega doses. I remember doing a diet once along the lines of the "ultimate/bodyopus" diet that relied on high fats. It certainly burned the fat off, but it created a whole host of other problems that took years to straighten out. Very unhealthy.

I know the diet(s) your on about. Ketogenic ones designed to shed fat via a dramatic reduction in carbohydrate intake.

Cookie...I double dare you, no triple dare you to do this diet the week before your coal run!
(yes I know you have no fat to burn)
This will make a great poll and betting line for the board on how many times you **** your pants during the contest + I don't think you will have to worry about Samurai hanging around eating you out of house and home after wards either based on what is permeating out of your skin alone. :mrgreen:

LOL,

I`ll do it if you will.

See you on the starting line :finga:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:43 pm

I will pass on that one my friend. I just do not think my digestive system could take it.

On a serious note though I did follow up on the l-carnitine and found out from my one of my buddies in the know that it is used for fat loss. It is not really used for systemic fat loss though, but rather spot reducing. They use an inject-able form in problem areas such as the love handles spacing each injection approx 1" apart as not to take too much fat out of each area. He said it works remarkably well and they are just now finding new uses for it in addition to spot reduction, but did not elaborate. He did not hear of the fish oil formula and his reaction was nearly the same as mine :vom:
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby fits » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:35 pm

I have taken high dose fish oils in the past. for a short duration it can be ok but high dose Omega 3's are ptentially dangerous. Not only for the blood thinning effect but they go rancid very easily and most of the time you are probably putting poison in to your body rather than a good healthy fat.

Best to use something like carlson fermented cod liver oil, or eat a good few pertions of sardine per week, raw grass fed butter, and meat and omega 3 eggs. Or, buy a fish oil that has anti oxidents with it, or buy a quality fish oil and cocnsume some sef capped roasemary, oregano,tyme etc or drink strong infusions. And cut RIGHT back on normal grain fed meat, eat only lean non fatty meats, and never use vegitable oils for cooking!
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby samurai69 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:16 pm

fits wrote:I have taken high dose fish oils in the past. for a short duration it can be ok but high dose Omega 3's are ptentially dangerous. Not only for the blood thinning effect but they go rancid very easily and most of the time you are probably putting poison in to your body rather than a good healthy fat.

Best to use something like carlson fermented cod liver oil, or eat a good few pertions of sardine per week, raw grass fed butter, and meat and omega 3 eggs. Or, buy a fish oil that has anti oxidents with it, or buy a quality fish oil and cocnsume some sef capped roasemary, oregano,tyme etc or drink strong infusions. And cut RIGHT back on normal grain fed meat, eat only lean non fatty meats, and never use vegitable oils for cooking!

who the fuck is fits....

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:48 pm

fits wrote:I have taken high dose fish oils in the past. for a short duration it can be ok but high dose Omega 3's are ptentially dangerous. Not only for the blood thinning effect but they go rancid very easily and most of the time you are probably putting poison in to your body rather than a good healthy fat.

As you'll be aware finding grass fed meat & such like items is pretty hard & if it is found then it'll be out of the price range of a larger percentage of the population.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Cookie wrote:

As you'll be aware finding grass fed meat & such like items is pretty hard & if it is found then it'll be out of the price range of a larger percentage of the population.

Yeah it is bloody expensive. Omega 3 eggs are doable.... Small tinned oily fish are cheap as hell. I still some times buy Holland and barrats omega fish oils even though I tell people not to. I just can't help the deals they do. Walnut oil and walnuts are good but never cook with it and keep it in the fridge. Its not easy or cheap eating healthy! The ratio is the most important thing so cut all the omega 6 oils out , but organic bits that are cheap, e.g. organic chicken thighs and drum sticks, (i'd still take skin off) and normal meat breast, lean loin etc. I would not worry too much about omega 3 if moneys tight as long as your not over doing the 6's. Omega 9's work with omega 3's so the usual olive oils always good.
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Next

Return to Nutrition