It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Natural Sweeteners

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Natural Sweeteners

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Decided to bring this into its own thread instead of the hemp thread…just because.

Got my unsweetened protein, while it is probably not as harsh tasting as the hemp I just wanted to explore some sweeteners. Right now I usually get my protein sweetened with stevia. I like the stevia, but am not fully convinced it is the best for you and really do not have enough info to say either way. I am still using it btw.
The current protein I got was not processed with soy as most other whey proteins are.

So far sugar by far is the most effective and most cost efficient.

I have tried:
Raw Honey: This is my first choice when it comes to sweeteners for a host of things. Though it has a high sugar rating the benefits are off the chart. The problem is it just does not blend properly with protein powder in a shaker cup.

Pomegranate powder, this is real tasty and I like it, but as a sweetener for protein it is not powerful enough. For others things, depending on what it is, possibly.

Lucuma powder: this has potential, and has a much lower sugar rating (2g tbs) than honey (7g tsp) or sugar (4.2g tsp), but the quanity needed to sweeten protein powder it puts it right close with sugar (1.75-2tbs lucuma=1tsp sugar/honey. It has a maple like flavor to it. It would be good for pancakes or such, but not really for protein. Does have potential though.

Camu powder: Total fail on this one. Not a sweetener by far, very bitter but very high in vitamin c. Waste of money on this one.

Coconut Sugar: So far this is the best I have come across aside from stevia. I really like this stuff and it sweetens the protein to an acceptable level. Not perfect, but close. I can see using this as a sugar substitute in a variety of things. A tbs seems very close to a tsp of sugar when it comes to sweetening. Sugar is still sweeter, but I actually like this stuff better. A tbs of coconut sugar does have twice as much sugar a tsp of sugar however, but the selling point on this is that it is low glycemic and has and index rating of 35. Worth further exploration.

Stevia: So far this is the winner, as far as a protein powder sweetener, IF none of the obscure health concerns are true. I am using it, but am not fully convinced yet.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: Natural Sweeteners

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Got my unsweetened protein, while it is probably not as harsh tasting as the hemp I just wanted to explore some sweeteners. Right now I usually get my protein sweetened with stevia. I like the stevia, but am not fully convinced it is the best for you and really do not have enough info to say either way. I am still using it btw.

I`ve only used powdered stevia which I found quite overpowering.

So far sugar by far is the most effective and most cost efficient.

Plain table sugar?

I have tried:
Raw Honey: This is my first choice when it comes to sweeteners for a host of things. Though it has a high sugar rating the benefits are off the chart. The problem is it just does not blend properly with protein powder in a shaker cup.

I like honey & don`t mind the variety of flavours different ones give. Try adding the honey to some luke warm water. Then let the water cool right down before adding to protein powder.

Pomegranate powder, this is real tasty and I like it, but as a sweetener for protein it is not powerful enough. For others things, depending on what it is, possibly.

Never heard of it but will check it out.

Lucuma powder: this has potential, and has a much lower sugar rating (2g tbs) than honey (7g tsp) or sugar (4.2g tsp), but the quanity needed to sweeten protein powder it puts it right close with sugar (1.75-2tbs lucuma=1tsp sugar/honey. It has a maple like flavor to it. It would be good for pancakes or such, but not really for protein. Does have potential though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had been checking this one out also this past month :lol:

Camu powder: Total fail on this one. Not a sweetener by far, very bitter but very high in vitamin c. Waste of money on this one.

Never heard of it.

Coconut Sugar: So far this is the best I have come across aside from stevia. I really like this stuff and it sweetens the protein to an acceptable level. Not perfect, but close. I can see using this as a sugar substitute in a variety of things. A tbs seems very close to a tsp of sugar when it comes to sweetening. Sugar is still sweeter, but I actually like this stuff better. A tbs of coconut sugar does have twice as much sugar a tsp of sugar however, but the selling point on this is that it is low glycemic and has and index rating of 35. Worth further exploration.

A again a new one on me. Will check it out.

Stevia: So far this is the winner, as far as a protein powder sweetener, IF none of the obscure health concerns are true. I am using it, but am not fully convinced yet.

Have you considered fructose powder?

Very sweet & a lower G.I. than normal sugar. I use it quite a lot.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Cookie wrote:I`ve only used powdered stevia which I found quite overpowering.

If you found Stevia overpowering then I would think you may like the coconut sugar. I did no research on the CP other than what the box had printed. It just was staring me in the face at the market so I said what the heck. Now that it looks like it may have potential, I really dig it, I will have to research it further and see if it really is better for you than sugar.

Cookie wrote:Plain table sugar?

Raw sugar, but essential the same thing.

Cookie wrote:I like honey & don`t mind the variety of flavours different ones give. Try adding the honey to some luke warm water. Then let the water cool right down before adding to protein powder.

gotcha

Cookie wrote:Never heard of it but will check it out.

Worth a look, pretty tasty.

Lucuma powder:

Cookie wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had been checking this one out also this past month :lol:

Too strange. You got a camera on my house?
I am going to make some pancakes with it this weekend and see how it fares.

Cookie wrote:Never heard of it.

Rainforest superfood :roll: was in with the sweeteners so I assumed…….wrong

Cookie wrote:Have you considered fructose powder?
Very sweet & a lower G.I. than normal sugar. I use it quite a lot.

No, but I have seen it on the shelf. Will give it a go.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:If you found Stevia overpowering then I would think you may like the coconut sugar. I did no research on the CP other than what the box had printed. It just was staring me in the face at the market so I said what the heck. Now that it looks like it may have potential, I really dig it, I will have to research it further and see if it really is better for you than sugar.

Had a look on ebay & saw 1 ad for raw coconut sugar. Solid block of it.

Too strange. You got a camera on my house?

Nah, better than that. ;-)

I am going to make some pancakes with it this weekend and see how it fares.

Was going to try it in ice cream.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Cookie wrote:Had a look on ebay & saw 1 ad for raw coconut sugar. Solid block of it.

For some reason all I can envision is you buying the block putting it on the counter and using as a "salt lick" like a deer would a salt block. :mrgreen:

I am really digging it, but still have not researched the actual benefits as opposed to alleged benefits. Save that for next week.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Return to Nutrition