It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:45 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Calorie counters

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Calorie counters

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:41 pm

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Calorie counters

Postby fits » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Tut tut tut you should know the calorie theory is a load of bull!
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:54 pm

fits wrote:Tut tut tut you should know the calorie theory is a load of bull!

BUT its what the rest of the world follows :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Cookie wrote:
fits wrote:Tut tut tut you should know the calorie theory is a load of bull!

BUT its what the rest of the world follows :lol:

The tides are a changing.... keep watching things will turn around.... maybe. Weight watchers have changed their ways a bit I read as they are now admiting that its not about calories, as a steak and a snickers may be te same calories but have different effects on the body....finally. Gironda would be proud eh :prayer:
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:02 am

are there people who actually think that the calories from lean chicken are the same as calories from a packet of rolos?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby steve1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:06 am

i know one who wishes.............. :lol:
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby fits » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:08 am

Scott wrote:are there people who actually think that the calories from lean chicken are the same as calories from a packet of rolos?

mmmmmmm rolls. I've not seen an advert for them for years. I used to like those. Might have to go buy someone
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:32 pm

fits wrote:The tides are a changing.... keep watching things will turn around.... maybe. Weight watchers have changed their ways a bit I read as they are now admiting that its not about calories, as a steak and a snickers may be te same calories but have different effects on the body....finally. Gironda would be proud eh :prayer:

Its sad to see that people still think that they can eat a Marathon bar & count it as their daily calories. I would have put that down to bad teachings by what ever crackpot diet regime they are following.

Total calories do have to come into play in the overall scheme of things it just does not need to be as critical as a lot of people make you think it has to be. If your hungry eat if your not then don't. That's my philosophy.

Gironda was a genius, bit of a crackpot but way ahead of his time with some of his stuff. Pity he could never have copyright his materials because I still see everyone from "fitness experts to sports coaches" pimping his stuff around with no mention of where the information originated from.

Scott wrote:are there people who actually think that the calories from lean chicken are the same as calories from a packet of rolos?

There will be :roll:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Total calories do have to come into play in the overall scheme of things

agreed.
Ive had phases of dieting when Ive used a calorie counting approach and its proved useful. as long as you are aware of the types of calories you take in and also how different foods effect you personally then it can be useful. especially at the start of a diet if you have a lot to shed, I found it was a decent way to add some structure into a diet.
I dont bother with it just now because I think Ive gotten far more intuative about what I can eat and the portion sizes I respond to. Also, you cant always trust the nutritional information which is on your food. I used the tesco website for a while until I counted up their breakdown and found that a lot of their maths didnt actually work out.

a big problem when reading info about diets is that too many people kid themselves when dieting
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Return to Nutrition