It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:13 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Jamie Oliver

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Jamie Oliver

Postby Cookie » Thu May 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Any one watch his show on channel 4 the other night?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Jamie Oliver

Postby samurai69 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Cookie wrote:Any one watch his show on channel 4 the other night?

cant stand the little rubber lipped prick
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu May 19, 2011 3:10 pm

samurai69 wrote:cant stand the little rubber lipped prick

So you did not watch it then :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote:cant stand the little rubber lipped prick

So you did not watch it then :lol:

no......................would sooner stick lighted matches in to my eyes
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri May 20, 2011 5:14 am

samurai69 wrote:no......................would sooner stick lighted matches in to my eyes

Well I watched it :mrgreen:

Was quite amazed when he was going on about how American kids in the whole of the L.A. district went through a whopping 53 tons of sugar in their flavoured milk per week :shock: All because kids over in America these days can`t drink milk unless its flavoured ](*,)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:14 am

yanks, so far ahead, yet so far behind

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Fri May 20, 2011 7:42 am

Britain isnt any better though.
our politicians are clearly in the pockets of food companies and will sell out your health to make a few quid.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri May 20, 2011 12:59 pm

samurai69 wrote:yanks, so far ahead, yet so far behind

Very much agree. They over complicate everything. Science common sense to oblivion.

Scott wrote:Britain isnt any better though.
our politicians are clearly in the pockets of food companies and will sell out your health to make a few quid.

That`s because we`ve been lead to believe that the grass has always been greener at the other side of the Atlantic :roll: Maybe 20-50 years ago it was but as I`ve said above the American government / scientists et al have just pushed everything to its extreme. They seemed to find justification in using the flavoured milk to make sure the kids reached their daily recommended targets for the nutrients in the milk ](*,)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri May 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Cookie wrote:They seemed to find justification in using the flavoured milk to make sure the kids reached their daily recommended targets for the nutrients in the milk ](*,)

yeah, that is retarded.
but I dont think the US has anything to do with how food companies in this country are allowed to lie and twist words in order to turn over a few quid. Britain - or the people who run it - are in bed with them.

at least in America they dont let mcvities get away with calling their biscuits 'digestives' ;-)

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri May 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Scott wrote:yeah, that is retarded.
but I dont think the US has anything to do with how food companies in this country are allowed to lie and twist words in order to turn over a few quid. Britain - or the people who run it - are in bed with them.

A lot of that is down to "spin" & the way anything & everything on tv is twisted to sound better than it actually is. All this "92% of women" rubbish is a classic example. When they come out with it on the voice over the little bit of text tucked away at the bottom of the screen usually shows a poxy number of women who were actually tested or asked during the study.

The words are in the words.

Scott wrote:at least in America they dont let mcvities get away with calling their biscuits 'digestives' ;-)

New one on me that. Do divulge.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri May 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Cookie wrote:
New one on me that. Do divulge.

it was on an episode of QI :grin: urban myth that they have to be sold under a different name in the US because they dont aid digestion. There has been talk of whether or not the name is strictly legal though.

A lot of that is down to "spin" & the way anything & everything on tv is twisted to sound better than it actually is. All this "92% of women" rubbish is a classic example. When they come out with it on the voice over the little bit of text tucked away at the bottom of the screen usually shows a poxy number of women who were actually tested or asked during the study

yeah, there is so much of that but theres loads more:
They told us they would restrict advertising of junk cereal during kids cartoons...... but still allow the same kids cartoons to be 'sponsered' by the cereal brand, before and after the begining and end of the show including ad breaks you have adverts for the cereal. If thats not bad enough they allow them to imply (in the case of chocolate wheetos ) that this is some sort of 'power' food.

They told us they would stop the super sizing of chocolate bars ie 'kingsize'..... but let them instead replace a kingsize mars with a mars trio, which was about the same size!

have you watched supersize vs super skinny? it makes me very suspicious that every week when this 'doctor / nutritionalist' is telling these guys what they should eat as a balanced diet he always ends with 'breakfast cereal'. That is very dodgy if you ask me.

At my kids school they have 'fruity friday' where if you dont have a bit of fruit as a snack you are not allowed to eat a snack............ never mind that every day they still serve chips and pizza and shit like that in the canteen.

I could go on.................... ](*,)

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri May 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Scott wrote:it was on an episode of QI :grin: urban myth that they have to be sold under a different name in the US because they dont aid digestion. There has been talk of whether or not the name is strictly legal though.

I thought it might be something like that :lol:

Scott wrote:yeah, there is so much of that but theres loads more:
They told us they would restrict advertising of junk cereal during kids cartoons...... but still allow the same kids cartoons to be 'sponsered' by the cereal brand, before and after the begining and end of the show including ad breaks you have adverts for the cereal. If thats not bad enough they allow them to imply (in the case of chocolate wheetos ) that this is some sort of 'power' food.

I`ve also noticed a certain brand pushing its chocolate cereal with emphasis on "high in fibre" with sod all said about the amount of sugar they`ll contain to bring out the chocolate flavour.

Same with the "low fat" moniker. Low in fat but sky high in sugar & salt ](*,)

Scott wrote:They told us they would stop the super sizing of chocolate bars ie 'kingsize'..... but let them instead replace a kingsize mars with a mars trio, which was about the same size!

Yeah noticed. Same overall size but slit into 2 or three pieces. That throws all the blame onto the consumer if they eat all three in one go. Yet nearly all basic chocolate bars, Mars, Marathons (hate the new name "Snickers") topic etc have all shrunk.

Scott wrote:have you watched supersize vs super skinny? it makes me very suspicious that every week when this 'doctor / nutritionalist' is telling these guys what they should eat as a balanced diet he always ends with 'breakfast cereal'. That is very dodgy if you ask me.

I do watch that so will keep listening to catch what he says. You`ll find most "nutritionists will tell people to eat breakfast cereals. We`ve gone from being a nation who ate a cooked breakfast up to the 50`s. To falling for the "American" breakfast cereal when Kellogg`s started pushing into the UK markets.

Cereals are good only for after training when there is sod all left in the house :lol:

Scott wrote:At my kids school they have 'fruity friday' where if you dont have a bit of fruit as a snack you are not allowed to eat a snack............ never mind that every day they still serve chips and pizza and shit like that in the canteen.

I could go on.................... ](*,)

I know someone who works in a school kitchen & the things they tell me makes my blood boil. Kids get served X, Y Z because they have to have something from each food group. 90% of the fruit & vegetables on kids plates ends up in the bin. Kids taking packed lunches of bread & jam with a chocolate bar & can of coke ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition