It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:20 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Diet drinks

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Diet drinks

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:09 pm

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Diet drinks

Postby samurai69 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 pm

well we all knew that didnt we

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:55 pm

not in my experience tbh. would need to see more of that study. was it actually the drinks.... what was the rest of their diets like?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm

samurai69 wrote:well we all knew that didnt we

I've always suspected it has a negative effect. Not as brilliant as they make out.

Scott wrote:not in my experience tbh. would need to see more of that study. was it actually the drinks.... what was the rest of their diets like?

I'd have liked to have seen more of the study. You've read my thoughts on it before but I do wonder if some of the negatives become worse if an individual is already carrying excess fat or is prone to fat accumulation because of high stress hormone output.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:52 pm

that particlular study is a total waste of time though and mostly full of conjecture. the last comment about 'may as well drink the sugar versions' is quite irresponsible.
The results still stood even when other factors such as exercise, social class, education and smoking were taken into account.

:roll: not diet? what sort of exercise? did they just ask people "do you exercise?"

I wouldnt be surprised if this study was commisioned by either a mineral water company or a company whose full sugar fizzy drink sales were being damaged by diet sodas :-k

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:57 pm

A little more in this write up on the study.

Something caught my eye so I'll see if you see it also.

http://www.17-day-diet.co.uk/why-guzzli ... -appetite/

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:16 pm

all I see is that the bottom line is -
researchers cannot yet conclusively say diet drinks cause those expanding waistlines
so why the article attempts to then claim that it does indeed make you fat is just crazy.

it doesnt really matter if diet soda drinkers tend to eat more junk because they feel that their diet drink 'counter acts' the junk. It doesnt matter if those who do not drink diet sodas wil 'in general' have a much healthier diet.
There is more than likely other factors which expain the fatness of diet soda drinkers yet those reports seem to be desperately saying diet soda makes you fat..... but I cant see at all how their results can point to that. Maybe the average diet soda drinker just has a shittier diet in general.

most of that report seems to be 'maybe this and maybe that'.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Scott wrote:all I see is that the bottom line is -
researchers cannot yet conclusively say diet drinks cause those expanding waistlines
so why the article attempts to then claim that it does indeed make you fat is just crazy.

it doesnt really matter if diet soda drinkers tend to eat more junk because they feel that their diet drink 'counter acts' the junk. It doesnt matter if those who do not drink diet sodas wil 'in general' have a much healthier diet.
There is more than likely other factors which expain the fatness of diet soda drinkers yet those reports seem to be desperately saying diet soda makes you fat..... but I cant see at all how their results can point to that. Maybe the average diet soda drinker just has a shittier diet in general.

most of that report seems to be 'maybe this and maybe that'.

You've seen what I saw :smt023

Posted one time before, if you remember, about that experiment I saw with rugby players being given either a diet drink or the regular sugary equivalent after a training session. Those drinking the diet version consumed, I think, 400 calories more than those who had the sugar version when they compared their food totals at their post training solid food meal.

My own thoughts on the whole matter are that the body is not stupid. Millions of years of evolution & you can't kid it that a "sweetener" is not going to cause some sort of chemical / hormonal reaction within the body. I just is not happening. It senses sweetness & instincts with kick in.

If your overweight / carrying excess body fat then you're more than likely got some hormonal issues to start with so a "sweet" drink whether it be sugar or artificial is going to throw it a curved ball & continue to act in the wrong way. Eat sweet food, insulin kicks in & messes around with blood sugar levels etc.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:59 pm

My own thoughts on the whole matter are that the body is not stupid.

I agree. The body is way too clever.

Millions of years of evolution & you can't kid it that a "sweetener" is not going to cause some sort of chemical / hormonal reaction within the body. I just is not happening. It senses sweetness & instincts with kick in.

I have no doubts that the body reacts when you drink diet soda but im sure the body reacts to any intake of food and I dont think the body is fooled into processing artifical sweetness without 'knowing' what it is and how much energy it has. That article suggests that the body cant seem to tell the difference between the two and will store / create the same amount of fat for two very different liquids.
The science they present doesnt support that. If I am on maintanence cals and maintaining my weight from week to week, then I start drinking 2 cans of pepsi-max per day will I gain the inches on my waist which this article suggests? No. I wont.

if you remember, about that experiment I saw with rugby players being given either a diet drink or the regular sugary equivalent after a training session. Those drinking the diet version consumed, I think, 400 calories more than those who had the sugar version when they compared their food totals at their post training solid food meal.

I remember that. It was an interesting experiment and if there is any sort of link between diet drinks and weight gain then I wouldnt be surprised if it was more around this sort of thing.

Im not saying diet drinks are good or healthy btw. I just think that there is far more to it than the simple 'diet sodas make you fat' line which this article tries to say. Its just another half assed conclusion which adds to the mis-information where nutrition is concerned.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Return to Nutrition