It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:36 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Spelt

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Spelt

Postby Cookie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Been using this lately to make bread with. Makes a thicker crust than regular wheat flour breads & is a denser loaf overall. Very nutty in flavour.

History

Native to Iran and southeastern Europe, spelt is one of the world's most popular grains with a heritage thought to extend back 7,000 years. Spelt was one of the first grains to be used to make bread, and its use is mentioned in the Bible.

Spelt played an important role in ancient civilizations, such as Greece and Rome, serving as a staple grain. Spelt was so well regarded that it even took on symbolic importance as it was used as a gift to the pagan gods of agriculture to encourage harvest and fertility.

Throughout early European history, as populations migrated throughout the continent, they brought this hearty and nutritious grain with them to their new lands. Spelt became a popular grain, especially in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. During the Middle Ages, spelt earned another level of recognition with the famous healer Hildegard von Bingen using spelt as a panacea for many illnesses.

Spelt was cultivated on a moderate level in the United States until the beginning of the 20th century when farmers turned their efforts to the cultivation of wheat. While there may have been many reasons for this agricultural shift, one is that spelt's nutrient-rich tough husk makes it harder to process than wheat. Yet, recently this ancient grain has been receiving renewed interest, and its popularity and appreciation are beginning to escalate.
Attachments
DSC00729.JPG
DSC00729.JPG (52.11 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
DSC00730.JPG
DSC00730.JPG (52.88 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Spelt

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Nice.
Yes I use Spelt (sprouted) when baking. Does good on pancakes, but not necessarily crepes.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Nice.
Yes I use Spelt (sprouted) when baking. Does good on pancakes, but not necessarily crepes.

I don't think the flour I have has been sprouted.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Nice.

I don't think the flour I have has been sprouted.

It would say so if it was. Not really sure if "sprouted" is just really some overblown fad term now or not. Personally I do not think it makes all that much difference, but the hardcore health freaks (your unhealthy looking vegans as mentioned in another post) would certainly disagree.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby fits » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 pm

looks good what results you had with it? I can't handle bread so never have it unless its a weekend every now and then.

I have just been reading a little about spelt and other sprouted stuff. Its definately worth getting into the spouts if they taste good. On paper they are highly nutritious. I was talking to some one yesterday about how a seed can be packed full of nutrition (but also anti nutrients etc) but then be soaked and sprouted and the nutrition goes up MASSIVELY! I have only done a little web reading on it at the moment but one site reckons the nutrients increase by up to 1200% once sprouted!!! how the hell does that happen? nature at its magical best. And humans get so arrogant thinking we know it all! we could not replicate some thing like that! I mean we still don't know all the constituents of an apple!

I might try some sprouted grain bread. I was looking to make it with still live enzymes but i am not sure if you could keep the temperature low enough and still get it baked... i am sure there must be a way.

I always thought of sprouted seeds as hippy foods but im re-thinking them. Sprouting some nuts and seeds and then doing a quick lacto fermenting should provide an easy to assimilate bunch of nutrients meaning that rather than shooting for 200 grams of protein a day (i don't get near that right now) I could shoot for lesser amounts of quality protein....... hmm will have to look in to it.

Any one used many sprouted foods?
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:19 pm

fits wrote:looks good what results you had with it? I can't handle bread so never have it unless its a weekend every now and then.

I have just been reading a little about spelt and other sprouted stuff. Its definately worth getting into the spouts if they taste good. On paper they are highly nutritious. I was talking to some one yesterday about how a seed can be packed full of nutrition (but also anti nutrients etc) but then be soaked and sprouted and the nutrition goes up MASSIVELY! I have only done a little web reading on it at the moment but one site reckons the nutrients increase by up to 1200% once sprouted!!! how the hell does that happen? nature at its magical best. And humans get so arrogant thinking we know it all! we could not replicate some thing like that! I mean we still don't know all the constituents of an apple!

I might try some sprouted grain bread. I was looking to make it with still live enzymes but i am not sure if you could keep the temperature low enough and still get it baked... i am sure there must be a way.

I always thought of sprouted seeds as hippy foods but im re-thinking them. Sprouting some nuts and seeds and then doing a quick lacto fermenting should provide an easy to assimilate bunch of nutrients meaning that rather than shooting for 200 grams of protein a day (i don't get near that right now) I could shoot for lesser amounts of quality protein....... hmm will have to look in to it.

Any one used many sprouted foods?

I'll look into the sprouted grains a little more & see if I can buy them. In the past I used to soak almonds overnight which I found helped me digest them better.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:07 pm

I have found that with almonds too, especially if they are raw.
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:48 pm

fits wrote:I can't handle bread so never have it unless its a weekend every now and then

http://www.kneadbakery.co.uk/

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:20 pm

http://www.breadlink.co.uk/

You should give this a go cookie :)
fits
Polemarch.