It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:17 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Begginers Nutrition guide help

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Begginers Nutrition guide help

Postby Bushi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 am

Gents, newbie here looking for some advice to get back to being fit and healthy,

I used to go to the gym 3 times a week, was keen on what i ate but i never got it right, probably the reason i gave up bodybuilding as i wasnt getting the gains i wanted

but i always try to keep the fatty stuff out of my diet even now, i used to be 14stone 5ft 8 quite muscular now im 12 stone :neutral:

but i do go to kick boxing for a 2 hour session a week to keep fit and trim

now i want to go back to having quite a muscular frame hence why i joined here for some advice,

i have my own gym at home, free weight bench, multi gym, dumbells

its my diet im mostly concerned about :roll:

trouble being mostly, i work shifts days nights, morning, eve and week off,

i live alone so no woman to help with any cooking or shopping list,

so does anyone have a simple nutrition plan i can start off with, nothing too complicated

any help would be greatly appreceated thanks
Bushi
Helot
Helot

Re: Begginers Nutrition guide help

Postby Cookie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Bushi & thanks for joining.

Basics would be plenty of fresh fruit & vegetables, a variety of protein from fish, poultry, red meats & eggs. Carbohydrates from whole grains, fruits vegetables, whole wheat pasta's, rice. fats from oily fish, lean meats, butter, olive oil, coconut oil.

You want to be slowly working out processed man made products in favour of home made as near to natural food sources as possible.

Drink plenty of water.

Working shifts is very hard. I would suggest meals for work based around things that don't require reheating & if possible that can be stored in a fridge or cool bag till your due to eat.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Bushi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi there and thanks for the warm welcome,

I do find it very hard to maintain a stable diet so the simpler the better for me easier to stick to

A good shopping list & some easy healthy protein and carb loaded recipes would be fantastic
Bushi
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Bushi wrote:I do find it very hard to maintain a stable diet so the simpler the better for me easier to stick to

The more tasty it is the easier it is to stick to. And lots of variety. Death of any diet plan is eating the same foods daily.

Bushi wrote:A good shopping list & some easy healthy protein and carb loaded recipes would be fantastic

I always recommend people go out a buy a decent recipe book then tweak the recipes so they are less reliant on the use of sugar or excessive amounts of fats for taste & texture.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Agree with most of Steve says.

If your shift work and doing kick boxing that's going to be tough. I'd slow down on the two hour boxing stuff if your looking for size

If you tend to be lean and struggle to put on muscle then you will need lots of carbs but I think you should steer clear of wheat products as much as possible. Rice is not the best but better then wheat. White rice may be better for you than brown as the polished, refined white rice has less phytates / anti nutrients than brown rice so could possibly cause less gut problems. But try to get the bulk of your carbs from sweet potatoes, yams, all veg, juice veg, and have lots of raw food to keep your colon clean and your cells healthy, utilize raw milk and cream (if you can afford it) and add lots of omega 3 raw eggs to shakes. Lower your omega 6 fats, and try to get 10g of omega 3's per day from various sources.

In short i would keep away from packaged foods, eat lots of good fat, aim for around 1g of protein per lbs of body weight (an old bodybuilding thing but seems to work as far as broad spectrum plans go) and aim for ingesting around 3 to 5 grams of leucine every 3 hours. (some meals and maybe some supplemental)

Get at least 8 hours sleep per night
Get enough Vit D (good time of year for it)
Get enough quality protein
Get enough quality fat
Get enough Magnesium
Use digestive enzymes
use probiotics
Juice lots of green veg if you are into that, otherwise make sure you eat lots of green veg and use veg soups / broths
Try to get a good amount of 'live' uncooked food.
make sure you are emptying your bowls 2 to 3 times per day.

Good luck,

Keep us posted, maybe start a journal?
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Good post fits =D>

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks, I stayed up late to write that, I hope he reads it lol
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:52 pm

fits wrote:use probiotics

Surely not that crap they advertise on TV.... yakult and the like?

personally, Id keep the kickboxing session. 2 hours MA type training isnt all that devastating, Ive seen me doing 2 - 3 sessions per week and still maintaining my awesomeness ;-)

LOL!
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Scott wrote:Surely not that crap they advertise on TV.... yakult and the like?

I did have a link to some that were recommended. If I can get the link I'll post it up.

Scott wrote:personally, Id keep the kickboxing session. 2 hours MA type training isnt all that devastating, Ive seen me doing 2 - 3 sessions per week and still maintaining my awesomeness ;-)

Great cardio all that which will help to build a solid engine to back everything else up.

I've read before that at least 2 dumps a day is good for clearing you out & the body is working efficiently.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Cookie wrote:I did have a link to some that were recommended. If I can get the link I'll post it up.

from the stuff Ive read, yakult and the like are useless.

I've read before that at least 2 dumps a day is good for clearing you out & the body is working efficiently.

tbh though its not something that I believe you should be 'aiming' for. there isnt a normal amount of times each person should be shitting. If you are a once a day guy then that doesnt mean you have diet problems. I dont think its particularly good to be trying to adjust your diet in order to crap x amount of times per day.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Scott wrote:
Cookie wrote:I did have a link to some that were recommended. If I can get the link I'll post it up.

from the stuff Ive read, yakult and the like are useless.

I don't like the mass market ones because they seem to be quite heavy on the sugar side when you read the labels.

tbh though its not something that I believe you should be 'aiming' for. there isnt a normal amount of times each person should be shitting. If you are a once a day guy then that doesnt mean you have diet problems. I dont think its particularly good to be trying to adjust your diet in order to crap x amount of times per day.[/quote]

I agree. BUT I do think people should "aim" to make sure there is one bowel movement per day. For me I can go more than once it all depends on what I'll eaten or whether I've done any heavy direct abdominal training.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Cookie wrote:
I agree. BUT I do think people should "aim" to make sure there is one bowel movement per day. For me I can go more than once it all depends on what I'll eaten or whether I've done any heavy direct abdominal training.

yeah, it does depend on a few things.
If I have 7 ( or even 6 ) shits per week and some other bloke had 21 Im not going to be worried that there is something with my diet that needs fixed or that he is more healthy then me. That was kinda what I was trying to say.

also..... this is getting a bit anal :mrgreen:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Next

Return to Nutrition