It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:20 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Cholesterol levels

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Cholesterol levels

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am

Had mine done today as part of the freebie that the Supermarket pharmacy was doing.

Results came back as sub 4 with good cholesterol nicely above its levels & blood glucose stable :grin:

All this from a guy that's been well over the recommended levels in the past. Eats bacon, double cream & butter every week without fail. And generally doesn't scrimp when it comes to cooking with fats or oils of any sort.

Leaves you wondering how much of it is down to diet OR is it more important to have a very active lifestyle?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Cholesterol levels

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Cookie wrote:Results came back as sub 4 with good cholesterol nicely above its levels & blood glucose stable :grin:

That's good to hear.

Cookie wrote:Leaves you wondering how much of it is down to diet OR is it more important to have a very active lifestyle?

probably a bit of both but only if your diet isnt based on the bollocks they talk on TV and magazines ( which yours obviously isnt )
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:12 pm

by Cholesterols low too....i dont do much active stuff these days, but i do it well ....normally

by well i mean natural products etc when possoble....good fats, beef, full fat milk, butter etc, just balanced with fruit and verg etc.....except at the moment

no citrus, no nuts, limited veg no caffeine, no alcohol (well spirits are ok)

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Scott wrote:
Cookie wrote:Leaves you wondering how much of it is down to diet OR is it more important to have a very active lifestyle?

probably a bit of both but only if your diet isnt based on the bollocks they talk on TV and magazines ( which yours obviously isnt )

I avoid a lot of "sugary" products even though I can go "carb crazy" some days.

TBH I was a little apprehensive as I did expect it to be much higher.

samurai69 wrote:by Cholesterols low too....i dont do much active stuff these days, but i do it well ....normally

You've had an extensive athletic/sports background which is going to be a big plus in keeping cholesterol levels in check. Lack of exercise I think is probably higher up there as the reason so many suffer with high levels.

by well i mean natural products etc when possoble....good fats, beef, full fat milk, butter etc, just balanced with fruit and verg etc.....except at the moment

no citrus, no nuts, limited veg no caffeine, no alcohol (well spirits are ok)

Surprised your off alcohol :lol:

No caffeine...not even any tea?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:13 am

on tea still, but not coffeee or drinks .... tea seems ok
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:04 pm

samurai69 wrote:on tea still, but not coffeee or drinks .... tea seems ok

I think tea comes out at about 1/2-2/3rds the amount of caffeine a cup of coffee usually has.

Green tea I do know contains substances which reduce the effects of caffeine so its more of a gentle energy lift rather than a full on adrenaline rush.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition