Change font size

Nutrition

protein powder vs an all in 1

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

protein powder vs an all in 1

Postby lil john » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:15 pm

been looking at getting some protein powder on myprotein, just to up it

ive been thinking of having one first thing when wake up, as i train straight away in the morning, the ill have some breakfast about an hour later, lunch, then one afternoon followed by tea later. also im thinking help me cut down snacking.

but i dont know the pros of all in 1s. as i wont be buying other supps except for glucasomine, generally because im skint would it be good?

my training if it makes any difference is weekday mornings, im looking to get strength and conditioned. and loose some weight while doing it but thats not a as important as the other two.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: protein powder vs an all in 1

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:11 pm

All in ones are fine as long as they are not overly loaded with carbs/sugars. Me, I use chocolate milkshakes after training :lol: nice & cheap then follow that up an hour or so later with a solid meal.

Good idea to add in a protein drink to help stablise blood sugar levels & stop you snacking.

In the past I've always gone with a protein shake. Nothing wrong with doing that & adding a banana or other piece of fruit to round it off as a meal.

I also make my own up with a 60-40 mix of cottage cheese, natural yogurt & 100-150 grams of frozen berries.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:17 pm

an all in oine like TTP from NSG is ok a good blens of BCAA and with glucosamine and CEE already added is ok....what cookies on about more is a weight gainer

if your not taking other creatines etc then an all in one is ok, i would avoid the weight gainers unless you want to gain weight....i need to get back up to 100kg and i am adding in 2 or 3 weight gainers at 500 calories per serving to my already high calorie diet
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:54 pm

I have a slightly different view on all-in-ones, I think they throw in far too many extras which either you dont really need, their usefulness is debatable or they are just too low in dosage to make any sort of impact..... the only impact is on your cash flow.
I think for your goals ( from what Ive gathered in your journal ) a solid whey protein would be best. If you went for a concentrate or even a blend from the likes of MP or Iron science you can manipulate it yourself in a much more efficient manner.
use it with oats as a meal ( or blend with oats and half a banana for an MRP )
use the whey with fruit pre and post Workout etc

a much more efficient approach imo. I would get the whey protein before an all in one any day.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby lil john » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:17 pm

some good views there guys.
cheers.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:59 pm

lil john wrote:ive been thinking of having one first thing when wake up, as i train straight away in the morning, .

I'd be wanting something much more fast acting in this instance. Alll in ones tend to claim a slower release of their carbs and also quite a high dose of protein etc.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Scott do you rate the Iron science brand?

I had been looking at the Kinetica range myself because I read all their products are done in house.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Cookie wrote:Scott do you rate the Iron science brand?

I had been looking at the Kinetica range myself because I read all their products are done in house.

I have some iron science products at the moment actually and have used their stuff before. I think they are very good. decent prices. I dont know anything about if their stuff is in-house but I have found them to be good value.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Return to Nutrition