It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 am
Change font size

Nutrition

BCAA's

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

BCAA's

Postby Cookie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Currently using Scivations Xtend & finding it quite good. What I'm not fully understanding is various manufacturers claims & ratios of the BCAA's.

Some are using the normal 2:1:1 others 4:1:1 & I've even seen a 8:1:1

Its the L'Leucine that's getting increased but I'm unclear as to why or if its going to be more effective & increase performance.

Ideas/help :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: BCAA's

Postby samurai69 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:22 pm

clue less

just take whats in the ones i sell
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:12 pm

samurai69 wrote:clue less

Me too. They're not something I've used very often throughout my training career.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:07 am

TBH i am not convinced on them before and after training......i normally take them before (just before)
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Cookie wrote:
Its the L'Leucine that's getting increased but I'm unclear as to why or if its going to be more effective & increase performance.

Ideas/help :grin:

I done a fair bit of reading / experimenting with Leucine a while ago, so from my viewpoint -
It depends what you mean by increase performance, coz I dont believe it really will affect your actual performance ( not in what I would regard as increased performance anyway ). I think the claims are that its the Leucine that increases protein synthesis so by doubling it in a bcaa mix you make it more efficient at building muscle but the same sort of claims seem to be made from leucine on its own as well so I dont think the specific ratios whether its 4:1:1 ( the standard ) or 8:1:1 are specifically important, its just how much Leucine you feel is needed. more < = better !
but the main thing about it is protein synthesis. building more lean muscle and particularly on a reduced calorie intake.

my experiments with Leucine was post wokout and added into whey, I forget where I read about the mixture I was taking but I didnt make it up, It was probably something by Poloquin tbh. Its a very difficult thing to tell if its working though and I really could not tell the difference, I ran it for a full Kilo bags worth and I wouldnt bother doing it again.
I personally wouldnt bother with BCAA supplements again either. not for me. Im much better off using whey pre and post workout.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 am

Scott wrote:I done a fair bit of reading / experimenting with Leucine a while ago, so from my viewpoint -
It depends what you mean by increase performance, coz I dont believe it really will affect your actual performance ( not in what I would regard as increased performance anyway ). I think the claims are that its the Leucine that increases protein synthesis so by doubling it in a bcaa mix you make it more efficient at building muscle but the same sort of claims seem to be made from leucine on its own as well so I dont think the specific ratios whether its 4:1:1 ( the standard ) or 8:1:1 are specifically important, its just how much Leucine you feel is needed. more < = better !
but the main thing about it is protein synthesis. building more lean muscle and particularly on a reduced calorie intake.

my experiments with Leucine was post wokout and added into whey, I forget where I read about the mixture I was taking but I didnt make it up, It was probably something by Poloquin tbh. Its a very difficult thing to tell if its working though and I really could not tell the difference, I ran it for a full Kilo bags worth and I wouldnt bother doing it again.
I personally wouldnt bother with BCAA supplements again either. not for me. Im much better off using whey pre and post workout.

Interesting that Scott.

A lot of the bumph about using the BCAA's is aimed at the neurotransmitors & slowing down the uptake of the chemicals which can set off fatigue. Which was why I was giving them a go especially with me sometimes training very early doors on an empty stomach.

With the whey I take it your using a fast digesting whey?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Cookie wrote:A lot of the bumph about using the BCAA's is aimed at the neurotransmitors & slowing down the uptake of the chemicals which can set off fatigue.

perhaps, the bcaa mix in general but certainly the bumping up of the leucine from what I read was all about the synthesis.

With the whey I take it your using a fast digesting whey?

yep.
my pre workout stuff, in theory, should be absorbed before Im finished training so my body isnt still dealing with it when I get my post workout stuff....... that's the basic premise Im working from anyways.

I think I gave the leucine a fair shot.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Scott wrote:perhaps, the bcaa mix in general but certainly the bumping up of the leucine from what I read was all about the synthesis.

I'll have to look into it to see if it does help with increased recovery because of the extra protein synthesis.

my pre workout stuff, in theory, should be absorbed before Im finished training so my body isnt still dealing with it when I get my post workout stuff....... that's the basic premise Im working from anyways.

I think I gave the leucine a fair shot.

How close to a workout are you having the shake?

The protein I have at the moment isn't a fast digesting one but I do like it & there's no stomach upset like I get from a lot of others.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Cookie wrote:How close to a workout are you having the shake?

the one with the extra leucine? I was just using that post workout.

my current pre workout shake, I have 30 mins before training.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:13 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition