Change font size

Nutrition

Adverse effects of creatine supplementation: fact or fiction

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Adverse effects of creatine supplementation: fact or fiction

Postby lil john » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 am

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10999421/ ... 46/related

I've been thinking if I find some well priced as may help with the fatigue. So thought I'd look into it a bit. Interesting read
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: Adverse effects of creatine supplementation: fact or fic

Postby samurai69 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 am

been taking 5g per day as a build up to my comp......not sure if its done anything, we will see on the day
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:35 am

How long you been taking?

Did you do a high intake phase or just 5g?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 am

I've never had any bad reactions that I know of with Creatine Monohydrate yet some of the "super" Creatine's left me suffering with a few muscle pulls.

I've been wondering also if it would be worth me using some to help with the foot injury as my protein intake is down because of the lack of training & hunger not being what it normally is.

Jon I normally used to just load up on 25 grams per day for 5 days then maintain on 5 grams per day for 3 weeks followed by a week or three off. But I have read that just using a load up phase of 30 grams per day for 5 days and no maintenance dose still kept the muscles full for up to 4 weeks afterwards.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:07 pm

never loaded it just straight in at 5g per day
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 pm

I had always wondered if you really needed to load.
Well fi has been looking at something to assist with her weight loss, some stuff she's read about some acids or something. Got me wondering if anything could help myself. Protein is to expensive so I'm sticking to lots of milk but creatine always looked good
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:49 pm

lil john wrote:I had always wondered if you really needed to load.
Well fi has been looking at something to assist with her weight loss, some stuff she's read about some acids or something. Got me wondering if anything could help myself. Protein is to expensive so I'm sticking to lots of milk but creatine always looked good

Look at mixing & matching various vegetarian sources of protein to increase the amino acid profile & balance it out. Plus eggs are dirt cheap as a protein source.

I'm trying to vary protein sources each day & throughout each day.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 pm

yeah, 30 eggs for 3quid at mullacos have been going down a treat haha. had a session of 8 egg spanish omelettes which were lovely.

what are vegetarian sources of protein? and why are they better than say milk, eggs, meat?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:36 pm

lil john wrote:what are vegetarian sources of protein? and why are they better than say milk, eggs, meat?

Chickpeas, lentils & various other dried "beans & peas" you can pick up in the supermarkets.

I don't generally use them everyday but they'll get used at some point during the week so I'm not relying purely on "meat" for protein.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:13 pm

there was an article somewhere about how creatine helped things like brain function etc too ..... probably on FB so wont find it

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Really no need to load in my opinion, if you want to hurry up and put on some extra pounds (water) then by all means.
I would say the biggest thing is do not take your creatine near or when you take caffeine as I found this really increases the chances of pulls and cramping. Make sure you fluid intake is good.
I read the same study with Creatine and the Brain, think they are doing it with Alzheimers Studies and found something about it or what it triggers helps. If I stumble across it, will post again.

Really the only problem with milk/eggs is a lot of people have a food allergy towards them. Soy is just plain evil in my opinion, no need to even bother better off getting your protein from the ant colony in your yard.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Really no need to load in my opinion, if you want to hurry up and put on some extra pounds (water) then by all means.
I would say the biggest thing is do not take your creatine near or when you take caffeine as I found this really increases the chances of pulls and cramping. Make sure you fluid intake is good.
I read the same study with Creatine and the Brain, think they are doing it with Alzheimers Studies and found something about it or what it triggers helps. If I stumble across it, will post again.

Really the only problem with milk/eggs is a lot of people have a food allergy towards them. Soy is just plain evil in my opinion, no need to even bother better off getting your protein from the ant colony in your yard.

We'll agree to disagree on the loading phase. Even though we both know I'm right :mrgreen:

I've always put the extra water retention down to an individual simply not having enough Creatine within their muscles to begin with. Probably down to eating foods low in Creatine which was your typical late 80's diet regime when this stuff really started to hit the scene & people make some dramatic increases.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition