Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Dietary protein

Postby Cookie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Dietary protein in humans.
Attachments
dietry protein in humans.pdf
(342.77 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Dietary protein

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Very interesting article, will have to read it a bit more closely when I get time. I do believe a lot of lifters tend to OD on protein, whether or not it is damaging or not I think largely depends on the health and ability of your internal organs, kidneys, liver, etc and their efficiency in processing the protein. The problem comes with dehydration, and if one of the organs is not functioning optimally ie dehydration then the whole system goes crazy. If you sweat ammonia then you are taking way too much, lol.

I liken it to eating Starfruit, Starfruit is an exotic fruit that is quite harmless in bulk, as long as you have 100% healthy kidneys, If you kidneys have the slightest thing wrong with them then starfruit will likely put it over the edge and make things a lot worse with possible total failure.

What is everyone's current protein intake (approx) Currently I am close to 1.25 (p)to 1(wt) but it is all top quality proteins
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: Dietary protein

Postby Cookie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Don't count as such I just try to eat "healthy" & not have every meal contain meat as the protein source.

I agree that lots get overly wrapped up in the idea that very large amounts of protein is required to grow/improve but then neglect to take in enough vegetables to help with absorption, waste removal or even as an additional protein source all be it one that's not got a perfect amino acid ratio.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition