It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:48 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

dodgy cooking techniques ?

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Takmaster » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:13 am

My 10p worth from a Biochemistry stand point.

Denaturation is a key word. Protein structures can be broken down in several ways. Enzymatically, mechanical aggitation - via an increase in heat energy given to molecules causing breakage, radiation etc.

The key one is the second one, denaturation via heat or cooking. Cooking will degrade allot of structures. And the longer its cooked the more its fucked. Raw is always better where possible, raw red meat, raw fish.

If you are adding whey do it last of all to try and preserve the protein. But try and substitute it with a non tampered real ffod like a can of tuna.

Blending oats - Depends what you add it too and te type of oats. Oats in their natural form are tough little bastards and that leads to them taking a long time to break down - low GI. Instant ones that would probably be better for the shakes have high GI as they are already shredded.

Over cooking Olive oil will again break the Carbon- carbon bonds and ruin the liquid nature of this long lipid and mash it into small less flexible carbon - carbon lipids. Ironically although Olive oil is better for a decrease in heart attack etc it structure is more condusive to Nucleophillic attack and therefore higher risk of a cancer. you can't fuckin win!! lol

I agree with the OSC on the eggs. However it comes back to denaturation and microwaves will certainly do that!!

[/img]
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:13 pm

so tak, what would you reckon would happen to whey protein which is say added to one of the various homemade protein bar recipes out there?

you know the ones along the lines of:
add 4 scoops of whey to a oat type mixture,
put in a baking tray,
stick in the oven for 20 -30 mins.

would that fuck up the protein?

also m8, whats your take on pre-preparing protein shakes, say you make a shake of 2 scoops whey added to water, maybe left overnight and consumed in the afternoon of the following day. d'ya reckon the proetin wouldve degraded any?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Takmaster » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:32 pm

Cooking will denature the protein but won't remove it all together. if say yo add 30g of Whey I doubt that you could then equate that to 30g of protein once cooked. I imagine there would be a protein reduction of anywhere upto 25-50%. So adding a bit more may help.

With regards preparing protein shakes, I don't think that the major issue here is protein degredation. But the actuall potential for microbial and bacterial development over time. If tis fridged the whole time then you take a hit off it it should be ok. Again some protein will have degraded I haven't seen a specific study of Water as a storage medium for protein whey so can't be sure 100%. But protein will take on water and there will be protein water reactions over time. So agin there may be an altering to the protein content by a certain percentage. Maybe not allot over 24hours.
Nutrion companies will want you to make fresh shakes to cut down on the afor metioned build of water bourne and protein loveing germs. That stops tem from getting sued.

At the end of te day its hard enough to get the calories in, so if you are prepared to do the pre-work then more power to you I say. Just use common sense. Don't over cook. Use lower temps and longer cooking times and smell everything. You should no what a fresh shale should taste like. If in doubt, fuck it out, its not worth having a stomach upset screwing your training.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:07 pm

Nice answers tak old buddy :grin:

What do you think to using the microwave to cook whey, as I use it in one of my meals in like a meal bar I make...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:25 pm

:???:

This is one thats always stumped me; Microwave cooking.

There are protein studies that use microwaves to increase protein breakdown with addded enzymes to break off sections of protein for study.

However there are also cases of microwaving such foods stuffs as simple as Milk having their Amino acids changing their isomer from safe forms to toxic ones. There are other studies out there that have indicated to an increased prevelance of cancer and immunocomprimisation from microwaved food stuffs. Alkaloids can also be converted into carcinognes in microwave defrosted meats. And there are marked decreases in naturally appearing vitamins and minerals.

Personally I don't trust microwaves full stop. It is an amazingly intense from of cooking. Heating is basically the transfer of energy to molecules with +ve and -ve switches and rotations taking place creating heat energy from molecular movment. This happens very rapidly in microwave cookery that molecules can become very unbstable and change in characteristic.

The cooking time and temp all affect the end result of the food cooked. Unfortunatley for us with busy lives te slower cooked foods at lower heats or even raw are the healthier options.

If anyone wants a further breakdown of the science jargon please let me know and I'll do my best to explain further.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:33 pm

If anyone wants a further breakdown of the science jargon please let me know and I'll do my best to explain further.

That would be a good idea if you could do it buddy as you`ll know all too well bbers etc end up using microwaves just about everyday due to work and lifestyle commitments and not always being able to cook fresh all the time..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:51 pm

:smile:

I will gladly help out mate. If anyome just posts or PMs me and wants a scientific word or process broken down then go for it I'll give it my best shot. Anytime!! I pride myself on being able to find an explanation for all to be able to appreciate. I do this to help myself learn in real terms.

To be honest it seems you can't win with anything in life without a carcinogenic (Cancer forming factor) link these days. It seems everything will kill you! Maybe best to try not to use them all the time, not for prolonged periods, get too close to microwaves (as the waves escape very easily and will cook you if you are too close) and where possible slow cook things and eat them cold. Otherwise you end up with no life at all.

I know that excess drinking will kill me but does that stop me? The important thing is to try and make the most educated guess on how to live our lives then just get on and be happy without worrying. Im sure worrying is the biggest killer of them all!
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:06 pm

I was just thinking about this and it seems to fit in this thread..

the average protein shake made up in water and then stored in the fridge. how long before it degrades and is there any studies to prove what happens?

I know its convieniant to make up shakes maybe the night before or even for a few days storage but really will the protein still be ok after a certain amount of time?

Tak, maybe you have some of that science malarky that can say for defo ?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Previous

Return to Nutrition