It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:09 am
Change font size

Nutrition

From Start to Finish

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

From Start to Finish

Postby Takmaster » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:37 pm

In this small series I am going to try and build up a picture of what takes place at a cellular level during a number of processes. Step by step we will start from an ionic/atomic level up to large molecules like proteins and fats.

I'd also like it to be interactive with research to do to reinforce the learning.

The level will start from very basic concepts and accelerate to be more advanced Cellular Biology.

At any point please feel free to ask questions, the pace is deliberaltey slow to allow everyone to get up to speed.

Part one. Positive and Negative.

By the end I want everyone to know what a neutron, Proton and Electron is. And Negative and Positive molecules.

To start we are going to look at a few ions and molecules that have a charge on them. These singular atoms or ions help build up large structues such as Amino Acids when mixed with other compounds that we as atheletes value so highly.

And understanding of how the effect of a positive (+ve) or negatively (-ve) charged molecules can help you understand what happens in a cell.

A molecule gets it charge from how its assembled in the nuclei (the centre part in this instance). All of them except Hydrogen contain neutrons in the centre spinning around and around a central core.

Then there will be a differing amount of either protons (+ ve) or electrons (-ve) as the compounds change. These also spin around and around the nuclei in orbits. Sometines they are evenly balanced, and the molecule has no charge and others are either -ve charged or +ve charged.

A - ve charged compound will have an excess of approx 1-3 electrons.

So as an example

Would be Chlorine Cl- that has an excess of one electron making it negative.

A +ve molecule can also have an excess but this time of protons.

An example of this is Sodium Na+ it has an excess of one proton.

When Na+ and Cl- bond together and are now balanced in an even number or protons and elctrons the molecule is stable and has no charge.
It is now NaCl and more commonly known as Salt as you probably know.

So as a test homeowrk for everyone.

I need to know what the charges the following symbols have and what the symbol stands for (are they negative or positive and if so how many charges do they have?). If you want you can PM me or mail me, the answers will be out next week. Please though don't be shy, I want you ALL to learn in a bid to make you mentally and physically better!!! This may seem very basic for now but not everyone was fortunate enough to have great science teachers at school. I know I didn't so had to teach myself, and want to help others who are willing to learn. Have a go you might just enjoy it!!!!

Test:

H

K

Cl

Na

Li

Mg

OH

Ca

This will all make more sense next week!!!

Anyone want to put their 10p worth in feel free!!!
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:52 pm

Bumps for laters want to have a go at the questions :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:53 pm

:grin:

Glad someone is up for the challange!!

There is nothing to loose and knowledge to gain!

I'll post the next section when i get some answers from people!
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Re: From Start to Finish

Postby Cookie » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:27 pm

Takmaster wrote:I need to know what the charges the following symbols have and what the symbol stands for (are they negative or positive and if so how many charges do they have?). If you want you can PM me or mail me, the answers will be out next week. Please though don't be shy, I want you ALL to learn in a bid to make you mentally and physically better!!! This may seem very basic for now but not everyone was fortunate enough to have great science teachers at school. I know I didn't so had to teach myself, and want to help others who are willing to learn. Have a go you might just enjoy it!!!!

Test:

H = Hydrogen 1 1

K=potassium 19 2881

Cl=

Na = sodium 11 2

Li=lithium 3 21

Mg=magnesium 12 282

OH=

Ca=calcium 2882

This will all make more sense next week!!!

Hope so my brain hurts :shock:

The missing ones I couldnt find....
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 pm

Dude,

If ever there was an example of someone willing to step into the unknown and try and discover, this was it. Brilliant! :rock: :smt023 xxdance =D>

The missing two compounds were: Cl- Chlorine and OH (This was the toughest one!) an Hydroxyl group, or more commonly Alcohol!!! I thought I throw that one as a point of interest!

+ve and -ve compounds like to meet up and form more sexy compounds. Left alone they are reactive and can cause problems.

If we put there charges on we can learn a little more -

Test:

H+ (One spare proton)

This is the most abundant element in the universe and when two are added to Oxygen H2O we get water!

K+ (One Spare proton)

K+ Potassium is used along with Na+ sodium on pumps on cell membranes to change the electrical charge and allow for objects from the outside to enter into cells. I will expand upon this later.

Cl- (One spare electron)

Cl- As this is negativley charged it likes to match up with postivley charged compounds so they become stable again. As mentioned Na+ added to Cl- Makes salt = NaCL the spare + and - charges cancell each other out. Another example of Cl paring up is in KCl (Potassium Chloride) and it is this compound that they use in lethal injections. Also an imporant ion channel

Na+ (One spare proton)

Critical in water balance, where Cl- is used as well to keep water in the body

Li+ (One spare proton)

Li+ inbalnces in the brain are assocoated with Bipolar disorders or more commonly such conditions as depression.

Mg2+ (Two spare protons)

Mg2+ is crucial to make an enzyme work (enzyme splits a compound into two funtional units). So it can help release energy that we need

OH

Alcohol do I need to say anything about this? OH groups are very, very reactive and left alone will damage proteins, lipids, carbs

Ca2+ (Two spare protons)

Ca2+ we should all know helps build bones

I'll build more next week and in a 5-6 weeks you should all have a brilliant foundation of what really happens in your body. But just by learning these few compounds will massivley increase your knowledge of science in both Chemistry and Biology. Learn them all really well and I reckon you could go an do an A-level no probs!! :rock:
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Takmaster wrote:Dude,

If ever there was an example of someone willing to step into the unknown and try and discover, this was it. Brilliant! :rock: :smt023 xxdance =D>

Cheers buddy...gonna get called teachers pet now I can see it coming :roll:

The missing two compounds were: Cl- Chlorine and OH (This was the toughest one!) an Hydroxyl group, or more commonly Alcohol!!! I thought I throw that one as a point of interest!

Just couldn`t find those on the chart I was looking at...

+ve and -ve compounds like to meet up and form more sexy compounds. Left alone they are reactive and can cause problems.

If we put there charges on we can learn a little more -

Test:

H+ (One spare proton)

This is the most abundant element in the universe and when two are added to Oxygen H2O we get water!

K+ (One Spare proton)

K+ Potassium is used along with Na+ sodium on pumps on cell membranes to change the electrical charge and allow for objects from the outside to enter into cells. I will expand upon this later.

Cl- (One spare electron)

Cl- As this is negativley charged it likes to match up with postivley charged compounds so they become stable again. As mentioned Na+ added to Cl- Makes salt = NaCL the spare + and - charges cancell each other out. Another example of Cl paring up is in KCl (Potassium Chloride) and it is this compound that they use in lethal injections. Also an imporant ion channel

Na+ (One spare proton)

Critical in water balance, where Cl- is used as well to keep water in the body

Li+ (One spare proton)

Li+ inbalnces in the brain are assocoated with Bipolar disorders or more commonly such conditions as depression.

Mg2+ (Two spare protons)

Mg2+ is crucial to make an enzyme work (enzyme splits a compound into two funtional units). So it can help release energy that we need

OH

Alcohol do I need to say anything about this? OH groups are very, very reactive and left alone will damage proteins, lipids, carbs

Ca2+ (Two spare protons)

Ca2+ we should all know helps build bones

Right going with all of the above examples is this why some vits/minerals go so well with each other and others just hate each other?

I'll build more next week and in a 5-6 weeks you should all have a brilliant foundation of what really happens in your body. But just by learning these few compounds will massivley increase your knowledge of science in both Chemistry and Biology. Learn them all really well and I reckon you could go an do an A-level no probs!! :rock:

We`ll not jump that far ahead...I keep needing to read each post a ouple times just to get a little bit to stick...lol

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:43 pm

:grin:

Just doing generic searches on the net will find all of the above.

The key to getting clever and good at a subject is to "Read around the subject". Find the topic you need then read about and all the things associated with it. Somthing none of the fuck-witt teachers I had taught me at school.

I'm sure if I asked you for advice on training principles of Reg Park for example you would directly know where to go to get the infomation and have some a;ready in your brain. This is no different, apart from no fucker in there right mind would just read a Chemistry or Biology book just for fun really.

A mark of intelligence is not knowing everything parrot fashion but knowing where to go to get the right information and how you interpret it!

And certainly don't worry about having to look things up. I have to forget something 3 times to memorise it. I've heard of hardgainers in bodybuilding, well I'm certainly a hardlearner, I have to work much more than others to learn something. A key is motivation and wanting to succed, your well on the right track.

I always viewed it as: Well that person has a brain and so do I, why can't I use it to the same level??

You are right that is reason why certain minerals don't mix as it is due to their structure. You have already applied your knowledge to the subject that is superb, and related it to knowledge you already had. Hopefully now this just makes the picture a little bigger and brighter.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:29 pm

Bumps for laters as I need to reread this....

Note to self reread thicko :shock:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:26 am

Right reread again, brain still hazey but we are getting there :grin:

Whens the next installment? :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition