It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:37 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Difference in supplements

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Difference in supplements

Postby fits » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:36 am

just got some supps from Naturesbest, the tubs seems better quality than those of H&B, the pills even seem different and they offer garuntees.

It led me to thinking, how much difference is there in supps from one shop to another?

I know chefx used to say EFA were very important yet one of the few supps that you can buy almost anywhere and you will get a good product.
Yet i keep reading that fish oils go off fairly fast if stored in in too hot a temp or exposed to sunlight.....H&B 500 capsual tub is transparant. Natures best offer a garuntee on levels DHA and something else.

The price can vary, Asda sell vit E, B, Zink, St john's Wart etc REAL chaep! but are they worth buying if they are crap? would it be ok to buy Folic acid there but not vit E?

what types of supps are ok to by from anyone? what need to come from a good source?
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby dynamatiz » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:09 am

ive always wondered about this too... think this is a really good question

ive worked in all sorts of production all my working life... from foods to automotive parts.. and the common thing ve noticed is that that a lot of products that we made and shipped where all the same, just with different packaging or very slight differences to the product

example a place a used to work at used to make and supply steering columns for cars and aford mondeo had the same steering coulumn as a top of the range aston martin or a land rover

another one that white chocolate was pretty much the same recipe as the cheaper brands only with a lit bit more milk or what ever they used , smae as easter eggs too all the same chocolate really throughout the brand names..... makes me wonder if they are the same in supplements
dynamatiz
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:28 am

One of the major differences I`ve found with supplements from company to company has been strength and how much fillers and crap they add to the tablets to make them look bigger and better.....

Best multi vit/min I ever used was by Quest...

Another good company was Solgar.....

Both are expensive....

I agree with Fits on the fish oils...I won`t touch any companies oil products if they aren`t stored properly in dark bottles and that even goes for regular Olive oil aswell......

Protein powder wise I`m always a little sceptical as I`ve used tons over the years......and too many companies spend way too much money on marketing which they have to claw back through prices......

One good company that I haven`t so far heard a bad word about is Reflex not used their stuff myself other than some samples a nice lady once sent me when I asked them :grin: The protein bar was the best ever, the drink was ok but I found the flavour a little over powering and the drink slightly heavy...which could be sorted by using a little under the recomended serving.....

Now I do like some of Biohazards stuff but same again I find the price of their top protein a little on the high side for my budget but I do use some of the cheaper stuff as and when needed....
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:24 pm

I know for a fact that some protein companies manufacture supplements for other companies. some may have slightly different ingredients but then again some may not and it would be just a basic re-branding.
I dont think there is much between a lot of the 5lb protein tub crew dont think it would make a bit of diff if you used either of them. probably the same accross the board.
I remeber speaking to a rep from Spar, yeah I know hardly renowned for their supplements but basically its all retail. anyways most of their own brand stuff was made by the 'bigger name' companies and the differences were between fuck all and minimal.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby fits » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:59 pm

so no one has an opinion as to what you can/cant trust? lol

i was told that there is only one majour pprotein making factory in europe! i was told there were two but one in....spain i think closed so now its all from Germany. ciuld be completely wrong though
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Scott » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:27 pm

fits wrote:so no one has an opinion as to what you can/cant trust? lol

i was told that there is only one majour pprotein making factory in europe! i was told there were two but one in....spain i think closed so now its all from Germany. ciuld be completely wrong though

what do you mean by trust? like what they claim to be in it IS actually in it? Im sure any of them in business for more than a few years wont be making their stuff in a garden shed. dunno what the penalty is for that kinda thing but its gotta be a bit nippy. or do you mean trust them not to be charging big bucks for inferior ingrediants? that one Im not so sure about.

I do know that there is more than one place in the europe that manufactures supps. I know of 2 off the top of my head but Im sure theres more.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:36 pm

fits wrote:so no one has an opinion as to what you can/cant trust? lol

You been hitting the wine again at dinner?

Grumpy response is usually a sure sign you have... ;-)

Right I think a lot of it goes down to personel preferences and the fact that you`ll only know how a product works with you if you use it a couple of times....Unless its completely useless and you`ll know strainght away...A little like using gear if its underdosed or not what it says on the bottle etc then an experianced user can tell within a few days.....

To give an example....

First creatine I ever used was in 1995 and it was by Tropicana (remember them, they were Dorians first sponsors and Dorian was fussy who`s products he used ;-) ) that stuff worked a treat for me especially pre contest...Tasted like battery acid but worked....All the others I used after that were either crap or woked a little, until I tried Cubed by San and that worked great, now got some CEE and will give that a go....
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:37 pm

what i mean is, is it PROBABLY ok to buy say.......vit B complex any where because there isnt much that can go wrong with it? vit Eshould be brought from a more reputable company as it degrades easy....st johns wart.......etc?

i guess then the question is who is a reputable company :shock:
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:39 pm

See my post above yours.......

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby dynamatiz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:21 pm

i bought some dymatize elite whey not long back and it was a bit dodgy imo

i used to buy it form a local shop, then a seen it advertised on the net for a lot cheaper so i tried it out... the first couple of tubs were fine then a got a tub that was a lot more powdery and had a different consistancy too it, tasted rank too. so i enquired about it sayin that it wasnt the same as i had previously been getting, then i found out it was made in the european factory and they must of had a different recipe form the american one i was used too... so i asked for a refund got it, and now everytime i order a make sure i get the american stuff

just thought this was relevent to the topic
dynamatiz
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:58 pm

dynamatiz wrote:i bought some dymatize elite whey not long back and it was a bit dodgy imo

i used to buy it form a local shop, then a seen it advertised on the net for a lot cheaper so i tried it out... the first couple of tubs were fine then a got a tub that was a lot more powdery and had a different consistancy too it, tasted rank too. so i enquired about it sayin that it wasnt the same as i had previously been getting, then i found out it was made in the european factory and they must of had a different recipe form the american one i was used too... so i asked for a refund got it, and now everytime i order a make sure i get the american stuff

just thought this was relevent to the topic

thats a bit fucked up. different recipe :shock: aye right. Im surprised you still by that brand, not sure I would.
I once bought 2 tubs of refllex miceller casein , both powders were totally different textures, same flavour but one was kinda like a 'sand' texture and the other was more powdery like what general whey is like. how can the same product have different textures?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby dynamatiz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:44 pm

it is fucked up aint it

how you described your relfex stuff is how a got mine scott... just couldnt descirbe properly how it was

but thats what they said i even got on the phone to the supplier and asked wtf! but thats what they said it was a different recipe... even raikey on uk-m had the same problem and he was the one who told me about the different factories

in all honesty am gonna look for a new brand to try out... tried pro labs stuff but that was only n large2.. wasnt just ya regular whey without carbs tho, like with the elite stuff... my thinkin was to buy regular whey without carbs and add some food stuff in there like oats... save on money too
dynamatiz
Hoplite
Hoplite

Next

Return to Nutrition