It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:50 am
Change font size

Nutrition

greet tea - good or bad for test levels?

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

greet tea - good or bad for test levels?

Postby fits » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Thinking about getting myself some greet tea again for its health bennifits and to keep me from ODing on coffee!!! i read somewhere (cant remember where that not all green tea is the same and some are better than others any one know if this is true? whats a good one to get ? and from where?

this is a quote from a site about green tea...taling abotu it being good for hair loss, but read it and tell me if what its saying about Free Test levels is good or bad.......

Using green tea to grow hair probably relates to the evidence for influencing circulating hormones in the body. A high intake of green tea correlates to higher levels of sex hormone-binding protein - or globulin, which carries hormones like testosterone around the body in a bound, unusable form so that tissues cannot use it directly. Testosterone is usually carried around the body by this binding protein, therefore, reducing levels of free testosterone, so that it cannot be converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the hair follicle, which is thought to shorten the hair cycle and cause hair loss in men. Green tea is thought to effect the 5a-reductase type I enzyme, which converts testosterone to DHT. There are two forms of 5a-reductase, and type I is the enzyme in higher amounts around the body, but it is the type II enzyme, which is thought to be responsible for most of the DHT formed in the hair follicle. Finasteride/Propecia effects or inhibits the type II form found in hair follicle.
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Takmaster » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:26 pm

Green tea is great.

The scince bit isn't very exact in that article it can help hair grow and that has been proved in vivo. However you have tot ake into consideration that hair growth can be affected by lots more than free circulating Test in the body.

problem with weight lifting is the increase in the DHT as the excess Test from the gear gets converted - hence lots of gear - Chances of losing hair gettng higher. However this isn't always the case men can just be unlucky.

Stress can be a massive factor in hair loss through elevated BP.

If you have hair carry on drinking your green tea I can't see it doing lots to help if you are already lossing it, it may help stabalise it......a bit.

Other Green tea studies include the benefits as:
Anti adhesion of pathogenic bacteria
Inhibition of Cancerous genes
Reduction of vascualr diseases via Catechins
Retinal degeneration
etc etc....
The list goes on and on!!!!

Green tea seems to have many compouds that are inhibitive to pathogenic and oncogenic compounds.

So drink it now!!

Apaprently though a stedy sip through out the day is best for delivery and don't boil it just very warm water, to keep the compounds from being denatured.

You can probably pick some up loose from a chinese herbalist or supermarket that will be the better than the more readily available stuff in your average supermarkets.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:28 pm

A mate of mne once said (after a conversation with a woman who had spent a lot of time in Japan) that they (japanese) had the lowest levels of cancer due to their high intake of green tea and that one of the rerasons was that it kept estrogen levels at a certain level which was supposed to keep cancer at bay......

Never looked into it myself so would be interesting to see what you come up with....
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:05 pm

I have a chinese frined who has it with every meal!

Also read an article claiming that if you drink it before training it helps reduce the dmage from any toxins produced whilst training in the form of harmful oxidants.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:13 pm

Takmaster wrote:I have a chinese frined who has it with every meal!

Also read an article claiming that if you drink it before training it helps reduce the dmage from any toxins produced whilst training in the form of harmful oxidants.

Thats interesting, any chance of posting the article up?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:52 pm

interesting, any one know if japanese is better than chineese etc? i have read one is supposeed to be better and that not all green tea is the same, some is no better than regular tea but cant think where i read it.
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:26 pm

Heard that white tea was better for you than green tea so recently got some of that and it is quite nice not as harsh as green tea can be....

As for youyr question fits, can say I`ve read anything about which is better...

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:07 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Heard that white tea was better for you than green tea so recently got some of that and it is quite nice not as harsh as green tea can be....

As for youyr question fits, can say I`ve read anything about which is better...

ok then mate no worries ill get some normal green tea :grin:
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby BrandontheCanadian » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:28 pm

cookie do you remember any of the reasons you read why white tea is better for you than green tea? I personally drink green tea almost once daily and love it, i make sure it is decaffinated or has low caffeine before i purchase
BrandontheCanadian
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:32 pm

BrandontheCanadian wrote:cookie do you remember any of the reasons you read why white tea is better for you than green tea? I personally drink green tea almost once daily and love it, i make sure it is decaffinated or has low caffeine before i purchase

I think it was higher in antioxidants but not 100% sure

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:26 pm

White tea is treated less and more preped instantly resulting in keeping more of the essential ingredients active in the generally youger leaves used.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 pm

Green Tea PDF

I have so much useless crap on my PC :lol:

The PDF was to big to upload here so if your interested just go to the link below

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NLYQU7IN
"go out in flames,don't go out any other way!"
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Next

Return to Nutrition