It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:59 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Bed Time Meal

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby large and in charge » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

i have to say the most important thing for me with all protein supps is taste, lack of after taste and digestability ( and i think digestability is an individual thing - used a soya protein once that gave me the worst indegestion)

Made a post before about this but it seems to of gone missing,possibly cause i mentioned the company!!!!!(which is all over the site),blended proteins are the way forward. And there are quite a few out there . Most companies are now moving to blends to allow for better digestion and to stop the after effects of single proteins......you know where i'm coming from with this. Buy tat you get tat.

Before bed a steak or a blended protein will sort you out but timings are down to what you can handle...its an ideal time to add value to your diet.

sorry if this upset someone who mods.that was not the intention just honesty..................
large and in charge

Postby Takmaster » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:34 pm

I can eat 5minutes before bed and still sleep, and wake up eat and go back to sleep. Either you can or you can't.

If you are gonna eat late make it protein with some fat to emulsify it and slow digestion. I have a protein shake with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:32 pm

Yep agree, the main thing is to try different things and to keep a check of whats what with each way of doing things...

Me I just prefer a couple hrs before bed as at my age I need all the natural GH I can muster :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby James W » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:15 pm

I really wasn't aware that eating before you sleep reduces GH release.

I will certainly try eating 2 hrs before, especially as I already have 2/3 shakes a day as the boss a work is a total **** and wont let me eat anything!! Oh except a Banana or apple, 1 banana every 2 hrs, ill be massive in no time :evil:

I have a copy of Gourmet Nutrition by John Berardi, although his method is good for fat loss I cant seem to get on with it for bulking etc but GN does have some good meal ideas, esp pre-bed so may use some of those
James W
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:21 pm

James W wrote:I really wasn't aware that eating before you sleep reduces GH release.

Its sugars that hamper natural Gh production at night time, and one thing I`ve found is that some people seem to digest whey proteins really quickly and turn them into sugars....Tak maybe able to shed more light on this type of thing :grin:

I will certainly try eating 2 hrs before, especially as I already have 2/3 shakes a day as the boss a work is a total **** and wont let me eat anything!! Oh except a Banana or apple, 1 banana every 2 hrs, ill be massive in no time :evil:

Try eating plenty of dried fruits, nuts and seeds instead of all those shakes and regualr fruit..Just swap a shake or two for these..I used to carry bags of them around in my pocket at work and just graze on them during the day...Plus chew everything right down to a mush so that you get plenty of saliva into the food to help you digest them better..

I have a copy of Gourmet Nutrition by John Berardi, although his method is good for fat loss I cant seem to get on with it for bulking etc but GN does have some good meal ideas, esp pre-bed so may use some of those

Not read that one so can`t comment...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby James W » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:31 pm

This is probably a silly question but which nuts and seeds are best. I dont really like peanuts< but I imagine they are not very good anyway!!

Also which seeds?

Sorry never really looked into these.

It's a great idea though OSC maybe one shake and just eat these throughout the shift.
James W
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:34 pm

James W wrote:This is probably a silly question but which nuts and seeds are best. I dont really like peanuts< but I imagine they are not very good anyway!!

I use almonds & brazils, but cashews are ok and there are others just can`t remember names :oops:

Also which seeds?

I use, pumpkin, seasame, & linseeds at the moment

Sorry never really looked into these.

Not many people do....Sadly

It's a great idea though OSC maybe one shake and just eat these throughout the shift.

Worth a try :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:14 pm

almonds are one of the best

cashews (raw - un salted), chestnuts,brazils

seeds

pumpkin taste ok, sesame too,but linseed taste rank
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:15 pm

Always wanted to try chestnuts but never seem them around here in the shops...

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:17 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Always wanted to try chestnuts but never seem them around here in the shops...

iceland or morrisons do them frozen .......... not cheap though

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby James W » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:11 am

Thanks guys thats very helpful ill toddle off to the shops tomo to buy a few!!

And dried fruit too? just one more question (yeah right ;) ) any particular dried friut or just a variety?
James W
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:23 pm

James W wrote:Thanks guys thats very helpful ill toddle off to the shops tomo to buy a few!!

And dried fruit too? just one more question (yeah right ;) ) any particular dried friut or just a variety?

At the mo I`m having a mixture of dates, cranberries, prunes and apricots but will maybe change that next week to something else to keep mixing things up :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Previous

Return to Nutrition