Rest 60 secs
Chins 12 reps
Rest 60 secs
Deadlifts 12 reps
Rest 60 secs
Dips 12 reps
Rest 2 minutes

samurai69 wrote:
i used to train 3 rugby players like that 45 seconds rest continous for the circuits....they would be on the point of heaving by the end of second cycle.....we had clean and presses in there (that was usually the point )

Hi S69,
What were the benefits to the rugby players?
I am intersted as i play myself?
Appologies for hijack Johno!

A large part of the circuit was their time constraints, but having said that the cardio part of the circuit, relatively quick between sets, explosive exercises, ...........very similar in some ways to how a game stops and starts

any more questions ask away

:roll:
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby zack » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:39 pm

So was the main focus on fitness as apposed to strength work?

Was it done in season or Pre-season?
zack
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:49 pm

zack wrote:So was the main focus on fitness as apposed to strength work?

Was it done in season or Pre-season?

we did this pre season as a build up to the start of season it was maintaining strength, cutting som BF and as part of the cardio (though the main cardio was coverd elswhere).......prior to this we worked compounds and explosive/plyo training around basically 5x5 or 3 or 4 set pyramid
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby zack » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:58 pm

What did you do in season?

Roughly how long was each block of training ( compound, preseason etc.)
zack
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:08 pm

zack wrote:What did you do in season?

TBH, It became quite difficult to get proper training sessions in, game at weekend and training mid week

so they were pretty much left to their own devices, had one guy a winger that used to train a basic full body workout 2 times per week at 3x8 not going to failure

zack wrote:Roughly how long was each block of training ( compound, preseason etc.)

as far as i remember they were around 4 to 8 weeks depending on the specific area eg plyo is very intense and we would incorperate that into power phase

[color=darkblue]JUST read your BIO
Just started Rob's new fully body routine twice per week & will up 2 3 per week when season ends

what does that incorperate...ie exercises, reps, sets etc

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby zack » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:40 pm

samurai69 wrote:
zack wrote:What did you do in season?

TBH, It became quite difficult to get proper training sessions in, game at weekend and training mid week

I now what you are saying mate, its difficult to get the right intensity without overtraining and leaving you drained for games.
zack
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby zack » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:49 pm

samurai69 wrote:
zack wrote:

[color=darkblue]JUST read your BIO
Just started Rob's new fully body routine twice per week & will up 2 3 per week when season ends

what does that incorperate...ie exercises, reps, sets etc

Full body workouts 2-3 per week.
Session 1 is compound exercises.
Session 2 is your flys etc.
1 warm up set at 75% & 1 workset to total failure. ( this is what i find difficult, going through the pain barrier, squeezing every rep out!)
5 sec lifts, Weeks 1-4 =10-12 reps, 4-8 =8-10, 8-12 =6-8
Tabats to finish
zack
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby samurai69 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:10 am

Cheers for posting that

What are your goals and aims from this workout ? :?:

I have recently moved across to doing a full body workout 3 times per week, and i do think its working quite well for me.

At the moment its 5x5 compounds run over a 2 week cycle........at the start of week 1 the weight is something that i can finish on my own cleanly and then over the 2 weeks i make sure i increase the weight every visit (if necessary using a spotter or employing other forced rep methods ie. cheats, rest pause etc).........then at the end of 2 weeks i re set the weight (i do this by changeing the exercises - stillcompounds). This stops me getting bored, it also stops the muscles getting stale :eek: .

A routine like this would possibley work well and would allow periodization, by changing up to 6x6 or 8x8 or regulating rest periods. My rest now is mostly 1 minute between execises and occasional 30 seconds, but it could be changed to 15 seconds :roll: etc. You could also super set to increase intensity :shock:

I do think there is a move back to full body workouts of any description

I also make sure that its never more than 1 hour in the gym (for weights workout) including 15 minutes of good stretching :cool:

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby zack » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:57 am

samurai69 wrote:Cheers for posting that

What are your goals and aims from this workout ? :?:

Good question!
My aims so far have been to trim a bit of fat and maintan current weight approx 198 pounds. ( didn't want to be to light playing rugby)
Also wanted a routine that pushed me but didnt leave me to f**cked to play.
Now the seasons over i am considering my options on whether to cut then try & build quality muscle, bulk & then cut or keep going as i am doing now. I have been doing 14x14 cycle since xmas and whilst i havent gained on the scales( i usually gain a about 4-5 pounds on the d/bol which i drop whilst off) i have lost a couple of inches from the waist and had some compliments made of late about looking fitter. So it must be working.
So i guess i should probabually carry on same as.
zack
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby zack » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:04 pm

samurai69 wrote:Cheers for posting that

I have recently moved across to doing a full body workout 3 times per week, and i do think its working quite well for me.

At the moment its 5x5 compounds run over a 2 week cycle........at the start of week 1 the weight is something that i can finish on my own cleanly and then over the 2 weeks i make sure i increase the weight every visit (if necessary using a spotter or employing other forced rep methods ie. cheats, rest pause etc).........then at the end of 2 weeks i re set the weight (i do this by changeing the exercises - stillcompounds). This stops me getting bored, it also stops the muscles getting stale :eek: .

A routine like this would possibley work well and would allow periodization, by changing up to 6x6 or 8x8 or regulating rest periods. My rest now is mostly 1 minute between execises and occasional 30 seconds, but it could be changed to 15 seconds :roll: etc. You could also super set to increase intensity :shock:

I do think there is a move back to full body workouts of any description

I also make sure that its never more than 1 hour in the gym (for weights workout) including 15 minutes of good stretching :cool:

I currently rest for 45secs between sets. This & slower lifts & fully body,& going to failure, really take it out of me, i have dropped my weights considerably but get a fuller pump!
1 think i havent been doing is stretching to finish so i need to address this but like you i want to keep workout to under 1hr. ( poor excuse i know)
Do you do any cardio?
zack
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby samurai69 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:49 pm

zack wrote:
I currently rest for 45secs between sets. This & slower lifts & fully body,& going to failure, really take it out of me, i have dropped my weights considerably but get a fuller pump!
1 think i havent been doing is stretching to finish so i need to address this but like you i want to keep workout to under 1hr. ( poor excuse i know)

Do you do any cardio?

i do my cardio on separate days....it depends what i am doing with clients

if you dont stretch now make sure you only start during off season and build up slowly along with weights sessions

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby zack » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:02 pm

I do fuctional/ dynamic strectches before workouts & rugby but very little post exercise. I just need to set time aside to do them! :oops:
zack
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Next

Return to General Discussion