It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:11 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Geoff Capes

Agora : the Public Space

Geoff Capes

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Rachel Wallander, a 20-year-old shot putter competing in the British Universities Championships, has tested positive for a banned stimulant, methyl-hexanamine. Nothing exceptional there. Last summer five Jamaican sprinters were found to be using it and only received lenient three-month suspensions.
What is noteworthy about Wallander is that she is the third athlete trained by Geoff Capes, the former Commonwealth Games gold medallist, to fall foul of doping laws this year after Kieren Kelly and Jamie Stevenson refused out-of-competition tests at Loughborough, claiming the toilets were dirty.
There is no evidence of wrongdoing by Capes but that is not the point. Isn't it now time that coaches were made responsible for their athletes: three strikes and you're out.

Surely they are not meaning Strongman Geoff Capes :-k
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Geoff Capes

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:51 pm

its a mute point really isnt it

if the majority are using, then to compete there is a large likely hood that you would need to take something to remain competetive.................so then it would be down to the coach to make sure they used in a way to not get caught

now

i know some very strong natural athletes that probably could compete with the strongest of strongmen, but, ONLY compete

this weekend i was at the highland games/strongman event in london, not 1 competitor was less then 18 stone......the lightest.................and they where from the highland games side....the strongmen where well in to the 20stone mark

in the highland games event (weight for height), though a strongman won, it wost mostly the highland games athletes that where at the top of the leader board, as they had technique...............the guy that won was a strongman that was an olympic weightlifter (hip power), second place was a 22stone strongman who had never competed in the event before (explosive power and great strength)

no looking at the under 105 kg, they have a weight limit, so wether juiced or not they can only weigh up to 105kg..............here there is a much closer division, here there are 100% drug free guys that could compete against and beat those that have juiced

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:01 pm

samurai69 wrote:its a mute point really isnt it

if the majority are using, then to compete there is a large likely hood that you would need to take something to remain competetive.................so then it would be down to the coach to make sure they used in a way to not get caught

now

i know some very strong natural athletes that probably could compete with the strongest of strongmen, but, ONLY compete

this weekend i was at the highland games/strongman event in london, not 1 competitor was less then 18 stone......the lightest.................and they where from the highland games side....the strongmen where well in to the 20stone mark

in the highland games event (weight for height), though a strongman won, it wost mostly the highland games athletes that where at the top of the leader board, as they had technique...............the guy that won was a strongman that was an olympic weightlifter (hip power), second place was a 22stone strongman who had never competed in the event before (explosive power and great strength)

no looking at the under 105 kg, they have a weight limit, so wether juiced or not they can only weigh up to 105kg..............here there is a much closer division, here there are 100% drug free guys that could compete against and beat those that have juiced

I was just wondering if it was the very same Capes who I thought had retired to look after his budgies.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote:its a mute point really isnt it

now

I was just wondering if it was the very same Capes who I thought had retired to look after his budgies.

think so...he was at the strongman event at seni as a judge so he is still involved in sports

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Chris » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 pm

It is. I heard from someone who knew him that he was fond of certain "supplements" and was happy to sell the same. He fell somewhat in my estimation after hearing that. I am not surprised by these findings.
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Chris wrote:It is. I heard from someone who knew him that he was fond of certain "supplements" and was happy to sell the same. He fell somewhat in my estimation after hearing that. I am not surprised by these findings.

i think it is a problem all round L S the strongman that started recently was/is a big strong lad naturally....but to improve in strongman and looking at the guys slapping him on the back and motivating himup.....maye a slight chemical supplement may be well in use now...............maybe not

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Bumping a bit of an old thread but its in relation to this http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/au ... s-positive

It seems the same compound is rearing its ugly head again in the world of athletics. The same compounds that's found in Jack3d. Idiocy on the part of the sprinter but I'm not aware of it being in any energy drinks in this country.

Wondering now how long before its banned as a "supplement" :-k

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby steve1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:12 am

he used to run a security firm a few years ago in Newcastle
well that was the talk when i used to work the doors whenever one of his bars was in trouble and the local lads needed some help he used to send a few man mountains down to work with the lads for a few weeks till things quietened down
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:11 pm

steve1 wrote:he used to run a security firm a few years ago in Newcastle
well that was the talk when i used to work the doors whenever one of his bars was in trouble and the local lads needed some help he used to send a few man mountains down to work with the lads for a few weeks till things quietened down

Geoff Capes?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby steve1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:59 pm

yep
i think his firm used to look after a chain of bars one or two were in newcastle about 10 or more years ago im not in that game anymore so cant confirm any of this but it was well known amongst the lads that he owned the security firm
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Cookie wrote:Bumping a bit of an old thread but its in relation to this http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/au ... s-positive

It seems the same compound is rearing its ugly head again in the world of athletics. The same compounds that's found in Jack3d. Idiocy on the part of the sprinter but I'm not aware of it being in any energy drinks in this country.

Wondering now how long before its banned as a "supplement" :-k

In all likely-hood it was probably something more serious than an ingredient in an energy drink. I think they just post that to keep the backlash at a minimum for both the sprinter and the organization.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:05 am

Melas Zomos wrote:In all likely-hood it was probably something more serious than an ingredient in an energy drink. I think they just post that to keep the backlash at a minimum for both the sprinter and the organization.

So your saying/thinking they are using the Geranium (methyl-hexanamine) as a masking agent?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to General Discussion