It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:25 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Sleep Monitor

Agora : the Public Space

Re: Sleep Monitor

Postby Melas Zomos » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:58 am

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Are you having more trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep?

Staying asleep.

Hmmm...Is there a pattern? meaning time or frequency?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:15 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Hmmm...Is there a pattern? meaning time or frequency?

About 4 hours which ties in with previous use of "sleep aids" & possibly a raise in cortisone/adrenaline levels due to low blood sugar.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Hmmm...Is there a pattern? meaning time or frequency?

About 4 hours which ties in with previous use of "sleep aids" & possibly a raise in cortisone/adrenaline levels due to low blood sugar.

Ha! Got you beat, I am at 5hrs :supz: , although nothing to really be proud of I suppose. Never considered cortisone/adrenaline levels, just assumed it was a side effect of melatonin. Guess I need to look at this from a different perspective.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:37 pm

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Cookie wrote:http://www.fitbit.com/

I like the sleep tracking part. I wonder how accurate it is. How do sleep monitors know when you fall asleep, is it your pulse or something?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Scott wrote:I like the sleep tracking part. I wonder how accurate it is. How do sleep monitors know when you fall asleep, is it your pulse or something?

It was the sleep tracking part that got my interest. There was a little piece on it in a runners mag so I checked out the website.

Pulse I would presume that's being used to monitor your sleep patterns. Might be worth firing over an email asking how it all works.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Cookie wrote:
Scott wrote:I like the sleep tracking part. I wonder how accurate it is. How do sleep monitors know when you fall asleep, is it your pulse or something?

It was the sleep tracking part that got my interest. There was a little piece on it in a runners mag so I checked out the website.

Pulse I would presume that's being used to monitor your sleep patterns. Might be worth firing over an email asking how it all works.

Would be interesting to see how accurate it is and just how it knows you are sleeping without tapping into the brain.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Would be interesting to see how accurate it is and just how it knows you are sleeping without tapping into the brain.

When I have a spare 5 I'll go over their site to see if its explained on there. Failing that I'll just email them.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Emailed the company & did find these bit on their website.

http://help.fitbit.com/customer/portal/ ... p-show-me-

http://help.fitbit.com/customer/portal/ ... -my-sleep-

http://help.fitbit.com/customer/portal/ ... -tracking-

My conclusion so far is that its just working on the basis of pure movement during sleep & isn't really geared towards working out the various individual sleep cycles.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:32 pm

PASS on this end.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:28 am

Not much of a reply really.

Hi,

It's important that you get a good night's sleep. Recent studies have shown that sleep quality is linked to overall wellness. Have you ever wondered why you still feel tired even though you think you've gotten a full 8 hours of sleep? The Fitbit Tracker will allow you to "see" what your body is actually doing at night. As you fall in and out of sleep, the Tracker tracks the movements that your body makes and can tell you how long it took you to fall asleep, how many times you woke up throughout the night, and the actual time you were asleep vs. the time you were in bed.

To track your sleep, place your Tracker fully inside the slot on the included wrist band before you get into bed. This wrist band should be worn on your non-dominate hand. Right before you start trying to fall asleep, press and hold the Tracker display button for 2-3 seconds. You will see "START" or the stop watch displayed on your Tracker. If you press the Tracker button again, the icons for calories, steps, and distance will be flashing.

As soon as you wake up in the morning, remove the Tracker from the wrist band and press and hold the Tracker button for 2-3 seconds until you see "STOP". You can wear your Tracker as usual after that.

The next time you sync your Tracker to your Fitbit account, your sleep log should show on your Dashboard.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:35 pm

Certainly instills confidence.

What about just hooking up a camcorder on a tri-pod with a good mic. Not perfect, but it would give you a rough idea and a starting point. Might even be able to see IF there really is a monster living in the closet or under the bed.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion