It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:53 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Bodybuilding magazines

Agora : the Public Space

Bodybuilding magazines

Postby Gridlock1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:06 pm

I was in the gym today and there were a few copies of various bodybuilding magazines lying around, I had a flick through one, I can't remember how they used to make me feel but I think I was reading with a different set of eyes today because I was actually shocked at what utter shite they are.

I went cover to cover coulsn't find a single picture of a bodybuilder that didn't have a brand name of some over priced protien powder in in somewhere - either the bodybuilder actually holding a tub or on a poster behind someone posing.

Combined with the fact that most of these guys look really unhealthy, acne scarred backs, blood shot or yellowing eyes, puffy faces etc etc.

I started to read the first article, I think it was about overtraining or something, but basically it started with: "so you are new to bodybuilding? you start a weight routiene and with the right suppliments and a good protien powder even with the light weights you are limited to by your strength after about 6 months you may find you have put on 20lbs of solid muscle"......... I put it down after that.

It seems like the magazines create a market for thier advertisers to feed off......stands to reason, protien powder manufacturers pay bodybuilders to promote their products and they pay magazines for advertising space, in return the bodybuilders and magazines spin a big story to any newbie who is half interested in putting on some muscle that the first thing they need to do is drink some protein powder......
Gridlock1
Helot
Helot

Re: Bodybuilding magazines

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:15 pm

^^^^^^^agree 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The "sport" has gone to the dogs, corrupted/duped mainstream sports & the general public.

The whole "scene" is a complete lie. [-X
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Bodybuilding magazines

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:19 pm

BBing mags are just adverts. nothing more. They are produced to sell supplements.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Return to General Discussion