It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:27 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Happy New Year

Agora : the Public Space

Happy New Year

Postby Cookie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:12 pm

Happy New Year everyone & I hope all your dreams/wishes come true in the year to come.

Thank you all for your continued support this year on the forum, it is greatly appreciated & a tremendous honour for me to have you all here as members. I`m looking forward to being able to pass on new & exciting information as & when I have finished testing it all out. Along with getting my competitive career back into gear as I attempt a few 10k races which will lead to eventually attacking a full marathon & an ultra marathon at some stage in the next couple of years. All of which will be logged here on the forum for everyone to see & to add weight to the argument that you can teach an old dog new tricks & you don`t need a fancy overly priced gymnasium or exercise program to reach your goals. Not to mention rebuilding my strength foundation back up for another crack at traditional stone lifting in Scotland with a possible trip to Iceland to tackle the Hussafel stone.

Let`s just say with all I/we have in the pipeline for the next few years competition wise I`ll/we`ll be brining a who new mould to the forefront of what a "cross training athlete" really is.

Thanks again & happy new year.

Cookie
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Happy New Year

Postby Melas Zomos » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:28 am

Cookie wrote:Happy New Year everyone & I hope all your dreams/wishes come true in the year to come.

Thank you all for your continued support this year on the forum, it is greatly appreciated & a tremendous honour for me to have you all here as members. I`m looking forward to being able to pass on new & exciting information as & when I have finished testing it all out. Along with getting my competitive career back into gear as I attempt a few 10k races which will lead to eventually attacking a full marathon & an ultra marathon at some stage in the next couple of years. All of which will be logged here on the forum for everyone to see & to add weight to the argument that you can teach an old dog new tricks & you don`t need a fancy overly priced gymnasium or exercise program to reach your goals. Not to mention rebuilding my strength foundation back up for another crack at traditional stone lifting in Scotland with a possible trip to Iceland to tackle the Hussafel stone.

Let`s just say with all I/we have in the pipeline for the next few years competition wise I`ll/we`ll be brining a who new mould to the forefront of what a "cross training athlete" really is.

Thanks again & happy new year.

Cookie

Thanks Cookie, and Happy New Year to you, your family, as well as everyone on the forum.
It looks like 2011 is not only set up to be a great new year for you, but quite epic. The best of luck to you and thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.
Still think you have one to many screws loose, though ;-)
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Happy new year guys. :smt023

Cookie wrote: you don`t need a fancy overly priced gymnasium or exercise program to reach your goals.

funny you mention that. Just over xmas I switched from running at the murder hill, couldnt get to it coz of the snow, to a closer place which takes you along the banks of a river. It was dark, misty, quiet and the river was frozen. The scenery was really amazing and I had to wonder at the people around here who drive into town to jump on a treadmill and stare at the back of someones head when they could be out training in places like this. :-k
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Thanks Cookie, and Happy New Year to you, your family, as well as everyone on the forum.

All the best to you & yours also.

Melas Zomos wrote:It looks like 2011 is not only set up to be a great new year for you, but quite epic. The best of luck to you and thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

Thanks, might have to do a "Cybergenetics" before & after set of photographs in my trollies as proof of progress :-k

And currently sat here with the mother of caffeine withdrawal headaches :cry:

Melas Zomos wrote:Still think you have one to many screws loose, though ;-)

When you meet me (maybe this year) you`ll soon see I`m a lot different in real life :mrgreen:

Scott wrote:funny you mention that. Just over xmas I switched from running at the murder hill, couldnt get to it coz of the snow, to a closer place which takes you along the banks of a river. It was dark, misty, quiet and the river was frozen. The scenery was really amazing and I had to wonder at the people around here who drive into town to jump on a treadmill and stare at the back of someones head when they could be out training in places like this. :-k

Not trained in a gym for 10 years now (baring the odd visit which I can count on one hand) I don`t think I have done too bad in making improvements in respect to athletic performance & a complete 180% turn around to how I approach my training these days.

Nothing wrong with gyms in the sense of a "performance" gym which has an owner or employees who have walked the walk as well as the education/knowledge behind them to help the customers. Its the set up today which saddens me with the incessant drive to sell people "extras" via in house "trainers" whose main source of income comes from those "extras".

Would love a gym of my own & to spend my days humiliating people for not training correctly :mrgreen:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:12 pm

yeah, Ive trained in some really good gyms but I remember I was in a 'health club' type place for a few months years ago and I couldnt get my head around the people who used to turn up just to run on a treadmill. Especially in my town which has amazing countryside to run in just minutes from the town center.
Also you cant run on a treadmill yelling "I AM BEOWOLF!" every so often like you can when you are outside :twisted:
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:53 am

Scott wrote:yeah, Ive trained in some really good gyms but I remember I was in a 'health club' type place for a few months years ago and I couldnt get my head around the people who used to turn up just to run on a treadmill. Especially in my town which has amazing countryside to run in just minutes from the town center.

Vince Gironda wrote countless times about the above & peoples obsession with doing cardiovascular work inside rather than out in the fresh air. He owned a gym yet always trained outdoors on his racing bike etc so if it was good enough for a gym owner then its good enough for the rest of society.

Scott wrote:Also you cant run on a treadmill yelling "I AM BEOWOLF!" every so often like you can when you are outside :twisted:

Maybe I should try that but use phrases from 300 :lol: :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:40 am

Cookie wrote:Maybe I should try that but use phrases from 300 :lol: :mrgreen:

Looks like you already did.....I thought this video was modeled after your "real life?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QxWidQVxBM
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:03 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Looks like you already did.....I thought this video was modeled after your "real life?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QxWidQVxBM

Bumping to view when the kids are not around.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to General Discussion