It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:40 am
Change font size

General Discussion

General health check

Agora : the Public Space

General health check

Postby westy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi guys.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the benefit/value of a bupa health check (or something similar)?

Is it something that is worth getting every few years? As I actually have no idea about my cholesterol etc.

I have put a link to the page online.

What do you think?

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/keepi ... ial-health

Also, hopefully I will be able to get someone to video my squat soon.
westy
Helot
Helot

Re: General health check

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:10 am

how old are you

i would say yes its worth it

the "bio scan" ones have been known to detect all sorts, and knowing your BP and cholesterol is probably a good thing

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 am

Well worth getting a check up I would say. I`ve had a few tests over the years & there is nothing better than getting one back saying that a previous issue is now fixed & the results are better than they should be.

Penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:46 am

I would like to get something like that done. is it expensive? (the bupa site was down, dunno if it mentions cost)
is there anyway you can get these done at the GP for free?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:22 am

Scott wrote:I would like to get something like that done. is it expensive? (the bupa site was down, dunno if it mentions cost)
is there anyway you can get these done at the GP for free?

when i came back from portugal i asked kwak for full well man tests............bloods and bp and cholesterol etc
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:26 am

samurai69 wrote:when i came back from portugal i asked kwak for full well man tests............bloods and bp and cholesterol etc

Think I might just look into that at my docs :smt023
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby westy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:27 am

I am 26 years old. I am lucky enough to have not had a serious illness (touch wood) therefore I have never had these sorts of things checked.

I'm not really sure which package I should get? I am going to phone them to see what the different options involve, what tests do you think are the most important?

(the bupa site was down, dunno if it mentions cost)

The website has prices ranging from £150 to £550
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:47 pm

westy wrote:what tests do you think are the most important?

Cholesterol, testosterone/estrogen ratio, liver, thyroid, kidneys & possibly any vitamin/mineral deficiencies would be my choice.

If I had the cash I would have everything tested but that`s just me & my O.C.D. :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby westy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:11 pm

:grin: yeah I will have to call them to see what the different options are.

Thanks again I will post up the details when I get them
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Cookie wrote:
westy wrote:what tests do you think are the most important?

Cholesterol, testosterone/estrogen ratio, liver, thyroid, kidneys & possibly any vitamin/mineral deficiencies would be my choice.

If I had the cash I would have everything tested but that`s just me & my O.C.D. :lol:

Yes, I too would have liked to have everything tested but the costs grow outrageous especially when you get into the vitamin/mineral tests. They were an added $300-$800 over here in the usa at least for a complete one.

There should be a general wellness test which will do Cholesterol, liver, thyroid, kidneys, white and red blood count. These are usually pretty reasonable.

The testosterone tests will probably be separate and little more $$$ with another $$$ for estrogen ratio. Both well worth it though.

I would also see if they can do something with cortisol/adrenal disorder test too given your muscle soreness. This is also pretty reasonable and I wish I added it on when I went.

Of course if you have a cool GP, which I do not, you can get him to write the script and just pay a minor co-pay.

But yes you should get blood work done every now and then. It has helped me tremendously just recently as I found my free-test was low and it was negatively effecting my training in major ways.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:32 am

my docs pretty good,

wouldnt mind finding my test estrogen balance..........now i am older i can get test tested free now, could even suggest "Test" patches LOL

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:41 pm

samurai69 wrote:my docs pretty good,

wouldnt mind finding my test estrogen balance..........now i am older i can get test tested free now, could even suggest "Test" patches LOL

I would go for it.
Not a big fan of the patches or gel. If I had to go that route it would be injectable. However, keep in mind just because your test/estrogen ratio is off does not mean you test is low. It just may mean it is bound up. This was the issue in my case. The overall test was fine, but the free test, the important stuff, was borderline low. I considered the possibility of boosting the overall test to swing that ratio but feared it may just cause the estrogen increase too and then of course you have others things that need to be added to go along with trt.

I decided just to attack the estrogen problem alone (thus the DIM post) and so far it alone has made a world of difference. It is simply amazing just how much is effected if that ratio is on the low side, everything from body temp to blood pressure to mental focus to of course strength and stamina.

At the very least I would recommend every male get overall test and free test checked out and if possible get the estrogen thrown in for good measure.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Next

Return to General Discussion