It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:50 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Nightwish

Agora : the Public Space

Nightwish

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Been listening to these lately on Youtube & the fusion between the different styles is pretty awesome.

Seems to have been a bit of a split between the fans due to the lead female vocalist getting the golden handshake a few years back.

I`ll post a clip of both then you can make your own mind up.

Defo a band to have playing in the background on iron days.

Original singer:

Replacement

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Nightwish

Postby samurai69 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:40 pm

1 had stronger voice, both looked pretty hot
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:24 pm

1st singer for me is the hottest and therefore the more talented of the two singers ;-)
not my type of music though, too sophisticated sounding for me. Brody Dalle with the distillers is more my level.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Melas Zomos » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:26 am

I liked the first one. Much more distinctive and talented.
The second sounded pretty cookie cutter.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Ah so if the lead singer looks "hot" then its good to listen to :roll:

Scott wrote:not my type of music though, too sophisticated sounding for me. Brody Dalle with the distillers is more my level.

Very surprised its not up your street. I would have had you down as a sophisticated metal head. :mrgreen:

To me its very much a move to the next level after Metallica did their orchestra collaboration. They missed a trick there I think.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:30 am

Cookie wrote:To me its very much a move to the next level after Metallica did their orchestra collaboration. They missed a trick there I think.

They really had no choice, the fan base would not allow it. They were under tremendous pressure to go back to old school sound.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 am

Melas Zomos wrote:They really had no choice, the fan base would not allow it. They were under tremendous pressure to go back to old school sound.

They had a choice with Loaded & Reloaded, old school sound my foot :roll:

With St Anger they again broke the mould & once more that got panned. For me its one of their best all round albums.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:45 am

St Anger was good but I didnt like the decsion not to have guitar solos, fair enough if a song didnt need one but it was predetermined beforehand and Hammet didnt have a say in the matter, I think more than a few songs on that album would be better if they had a solo rather than just repeating verse / chorus. Also Lars drum sound on that album is a tad biscuit tin like.
Death Magnetic is my favorite Metallica album since the Black album. Its just awesome.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:57 am

Scott wrote:St Anger was good but I didnt like the decsion not to have guitar solos, fair enough if a song didnt need one but it was predetermined beforehand and Hammet didnt have a say in the matter, I think more than a few songs on that album would be better if they had a solo rather than just repeating verse / chorus. Also Lars drum sound on that album is a tad biscuit tin like.
Death Magnetic is my favorite Metallica album since the Black album. Its just awesome.

Agree Death Magnetic is a good album.

You could say Metallica not having any guitar solo`s is like Iron Maiden not having a heavy bass sound :lol:

I liked the drum affect, made the whole thing sound raw & stripped right down to basics.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:20 am

I agree Death Magnetic was good. While I liked the Nightwish I am glad they went back to the old school sound. Of course I am impartial having first been exposed
to Metallica live in a local bar that held maybe 500 people tops standing. Imagine seeing them perform this set list...without ear plugs.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/1989/stone-balloon-newark-de-3bd6d4f4.html
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:I agree Death Magnetic was good. While I liked the Nightwish I am glad they went back to the old school sound. Of course I am impartial having first been exposed
to Metallica live in a local bar that held maybe 500 people tops standing. Imagine seeing them perform this set list...without ear plugs.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/1989/stone-balloon-newark-de-3bd6d4f4.html

Good play list.

I remember a guy I used to know who went to see Motorhead but they weren`t on the main stage, no they stuck them down in the cellar area :lol:

Poor guy was deaf for nearly two weeks :roflicon:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:06 am

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to General Discussion