It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 3:31 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Giving advice! Well trying!

Agora : the Public Space

Giving advice! Well trying!

Postby Savage » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 pm

So at my gym there is the poser's as there is in every gym across the country, you know the ones come in do a few hundred bicep curls and thats it.
So yesterdays evening thought i'd tell them that what they were doing was all wrong and that their tricep is bigger and therefore needs to be worked harder than the bicep is all they want is nice arms.
More or less was told to F**K OFF so will bide my time for there com-upons prob in the shape of a bad back because of shitty form.
Anyone else had this or should i of just not said anything???
Savage
Helot
Helot

Re: Giving advice! Well trying!

Postby samurai69 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:58 am

Savage wrote:So at my gym there is the poser's as there is in every gym across the country, you know the ones come in do a few hundred bicep curls and thats it.
So yesterdays evening thought i'd tell them that what they were doing was all wrong and that their tricep is bigger and therefore needs to be worked harder than the bicep is all they want is nice arms.
More or less was told to F**K OFF so will bide my time for there com-upons prob in the shape of a bad back because of shitty form.

if you just walk up to them out of the blue......thats the response you will get

if they know and talk to you (in my case anyway) they will usually ask for advice

in my gym, i tell them, and if they dont like it after 2 or 3 warnings they will be sacked anyway.....the people that come to my gym want to learn the RIGHT way
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 am

I used to give out bad advice deliberately if I thought someone was spending too much time earwigging to my conversations with training partner.

If they didn`t have the decency to ask face to face then I wasn`t prepared to be a free library [-X
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:58 am

yeah, I wouldnt bother. Most people in gyms dont really want to hear it. Just train away yourself and quietly judge them for being twats :grin:
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby steve1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Savage wrote:So at my gym there is the poser's as there is in every gym across the country, you know the ones come in do a few hundred bicep curls and thats it.
So yesterdays evening thought I'd tell them that what they were doing was all wrong and that their tricep is bigger and therefore needs to be worked harder than the bicep is all they want is nice arms.

lol it happens so many times at the gym were i used to train the normal thing was to train chest and arms chest and arms chest and arms chest and arms chest and arms chest and arms you get the picture
i used to turn up and do one of cookies full body workouts with 20 rep squats thrown in and rather than think hey he knows what hes doing they all thought i was some crazed lunatic who was possessed lol not once did they reallies that my arms and chest was growing faster than theres
my advice would be.....if they look like they are in danger of hurting them selfs then sure say something but other than that let them get on with it
OH one more thing if you ever see anyone in your gym with crape bandages up his arms from wrist to bicep please ask why as i have never found out why the person at my old gym wore those lol
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Savage » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:13 pm

i know the fellas limavadys a small place lol
Savage
Helot
Helot

Postby tomato » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:07 pm

the worst one is when sombody asks your advice because whatever they re doing now doesnt work.
you spend a bit of time giving them a few ideas to try, and they say 'that will never work!!' just because it is different and doesnt match up to what all their mates are doing.
but that obviousley doesnt work or they wouldnt ask my advice in the first place!!!
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm

tomato wrote:the worst one is when sombody asks your advice because whatever they re doing now doesnt work.
you spend a bit of time giving them a few ideas to try, and they say 'that will never work!!' just because it is different and doesnt match up to what all their mates are doing.
but that obviousley doesnt work or they wouldnt ask my advice in the first place!!!

Been there got the t-shirt :lol:

Its annoying as hell when some plonka does that.

I don`t use commercial gyms but still have guys asking stuff at work & you can see their eyes glaze over when they realise your not going to tell them what they want to hear ](*,)
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Cookie wrote: you can see their eyes glaze over when they realise your not going to tell them what they want to hear ](*,)

Thats what Ive found as well.
The last time a guy asked my opinion on what he was currently doing training wise I just smiled and said 'yeah sounds good'. I knew if I told him what I actually thought he wouldnt have listened anyways ;-)
I used to be like that myself 8-[
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah, been their to bro. It is just the way it is. You will learn it is all wasted breath.

You will also learn that Free has no value. Most people really do not listen unless they are paying you for said advice.

Every now and then I break my own rules and offer to help someone for free, but it always ends the same.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:You will also learn that Free has no value.

I remember once having that line thrown at me because I didn`t want what was being offered for free.

Melas Zomos wrote:Most people really do not listen unless they are paying you for said advice.

From past experiences with people having to pay for what I was offering I found that down the line said people get way too close & personal for my liking. They end up relying on you far too much even for the simplest of things & everything has to be relayed to them over & over & over again.

Not for me, they can keep their money.

I always felt much happier with the old system of bartering & if I did something for someone I would have been just as happy if they had paid me with food rather than giving me cold hard emotionless cash.

From my own experiences money ruins everything.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:58 pm

I don't train at a commercial gym anymore, but always found it amusing when someone would come and give me advice.

I've been advised against low rep sets, against squatting, against deadlifting. I, apparently, squat too low, deadlift too much weight and cover everything unnecessarily with chalk (ok, guilty as charged of the last one :oops: ) I've also been told by someone who couldn't squat half of what I could that I don't know how to squat properly. Everyones an expert :lol:
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Next

Return to General Discussion