It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:36 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Top Gear

Agora : the Public Space

Re: Top Gear

Postby samurai69 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 am

Melas Zomos wrote:The latest episode run here was when they went to Norway to tryout a Combine/Plow for the snow. It was actually pretty funny. I still can’t get used to the subtle differences in languages. The “gritter” sounds odd to my ears, lol.

Really liked the look of that paint on the M3 upgrade, but having to wipe the bugs off immediately :shock: come on.

I also saw an episode where they raced an audi up a mountain against a speed climber. Man that spider monkey was impressive climbing that cliff. Unbelievable stuff with that cat. I was blown away.

They also ran an episode where they had to each buy a supercar from a magazine for 10,000lbs or less. When they talked about how much it cost to insure them they all mentioned that occupation affected the cost of insurance and two of them lied that they were not journalists to get a cheaper quote.
Do the insurance companies for autos over there alter their rates according to your occupation? (aside from say truck driver, or race car driver)

lbs is pounds weight, £ is pounds currency

yes different occupations can effect your insurance

the snow plough one is , i am pretty sure, the latest series, speed climber one is around 2009 i think............the give away is the car number plates, the middle 2 numbers on new cars is date....02 and 52 are both 2002 models, 10 and 60 are both 2010 models

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:47 am

Melas Zomos wrote:The latest episode run here was when they went to Norway to tryout a Combine/Plow for the snow. It was actually pretty funny. I still can’t get used to the subtle differences in languages. The “gritter” sounds odd to my ears, lol.

Yes that`s from the latest series.

Really liked the look of that paint on the M3 upgrade, but having to wipe the bugs off immediately :shock: come on.

I think that might have been tongue in cheek humour.

They also ran an episode where they had to each buy a supercar from a magazine for 10,000lbs or less.

As Sam69 posted lbs/pounds is weight.....Pounds/£ is monetary..Find it quite funny at times with Americans confusing the English pound sign £ with the European Euro sign €

When they talked about how much it cost to insure them they all mentioned that occupation affected the cost of insurance and two of them lied that they were not journalists to get a cheaper quote.
Do the insurance companies for autos over there alter their rates according to your occupation? (aside from say truck driver, or race car driver)

Unsure about that one but am sure insurance companies will find any way possible to charge you extra [-X
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:25 pm

the matt black cars are real pigs to look after and basically anything landing on them fucks it up a bit
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 pm

samurai69 wrote:lbs is pounds weight, £ is pounds currency

Gotcha, now for the stupid question of the day......how the heck do you get that symbol off the keyboard???? All I have is $ :oops:

samurai69 wrote:yes different occupations can effect your insurance

Whoa, that could really blow.

samurai69 wrote:the snow plough one is , i am pretty sure, the latest series, speed climber one is around 2009 i think............the give away is the car number plates, the middle 2 numbers on new cars is date....02 and 52 are both 2002 models, 10 and 60 are both 2010 models.

Great info, will keep an eye on the plates. The wife is going to think I am fricken Cliff Claven after the next few episodes :mrgreen:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 pm

US keyboards different set up

my keyboards a portuguese one which i think is dfferent to uk one but i have doller sign on number 4, pounds on number 3 and euro sign is contrl shift on the letter e

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:36 pm

samurai69 wrote:US keyboards different set up

my keyboards a portuguese one which i think is dfferent to uk one but i have doller sign on number 4, pounds on number 3 and euro sign is contrl shift on the letter e

dollar $ is on 4 and # is on 3 here
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:
samurai69 wrote:US keyboards different set up

dollar $ is on 4 and # is on 3 here

set keyboard to english and type (shift) 3 and you will get it

alternately type in everynumber and letter with uppercase and lower case and with shift pressed until you find it

ofcourse being american...................there is only 1 currency

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:47 pm

samurai69 wrote:ofcourse being american...................there is only 1 currency

Did not know there were any others till joining this forum, after all my keyboard only shows one :mrgreen:

Got it,
£
Alt+0163

Special Symbol Shortcuts Using the ALT Key

Alt + 0176 = ° (Degrees)
Alt + 0162 = ¢
Alt + 0188 = ¼
Alt + 0189 = ½
Alt + 0190 = ¾
Alt + 0178 = ¹
Alt + 0178 = ²
Alt + 0179 = ³
Alt + 0163 = £
Alt + 0169 = ©
Alt + 0174 = ®
Alt + 0165 = ¥
Alt + 0177 = ±
Alt + 0247 = ÷
Alt + 0166 = ¦
Alt + 0149 = •
Alt + 0134 = †
Alt + 0227 = ã
Alt + 0151 = — (m dash)
Alt + 0150 = – (n dash)

You can also use the Insert option, then Symbol, and the charts of all the various symbols will come up for you to select the one you want to use, if you are using a Microsoft document.
Sources: http://www.pcdon.com/page3.html
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:34 pm

I understood the "Gentlemen's Relish", which I thought was great, but....
Twice the hosts referred to something as "C apostrophe D" It seems to be used in a derogatory manner.

Translation?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:I understood the "Gentlemen's Relish", which I thought was great, but....
Twice the hosts referred to something as "C apostrophe D" It seems to be used in a derogatory manner.

Translation?

Unsure on that. Do you know which episode it was? Might be on Youtube
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:I understood the "Gentlemen's Relish", which I thought was great, but....

Translation?

Unsure on that. Do you know which episode it was? Might be on Youtube

depends on relevance as cookie says what episode......i have seen them all, most at least twice

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:56 pm

I believe it was the episode where they bought the bmw convertibles for 2000£ and reviewed the zondaR. I will go back and watch it again and let you know exactly where the reference was made just to be sure, been watching two at a time to get caught up.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion