It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:44 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Top Gear

Agora : the Public Space

Top Gear

Postby Melas Zomos » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:04 am

I have to tell you that you guys were right concerning Top Gear.
I never laughed so hard in my life the other night when they did the limo experiment. That was some of the best tv I have seen in a while.

I do have a question is the bonnet always the front of the car, even if the engine in the back making the boot always the rear of the car? Or is the boot considered the trunk regardless of whether it is front or rear?

None of you guys own a geewhiz do you? :shock:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: Top Gear

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 am

Told ya it was good ;-)

I`ve always said the bonnet was front & boot was the back.

Watched a rerun yesterday of when they attempted to cross the channel to France in home made amphibious cars :lol:

The trip they did to the south pole was pretty awesome as well.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:49 am

bonnet is front and boot is back
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:35 am

Got it thanks.

Have not seen the south pole episode yet.
Just watched the tractor challenge, and the one they tried to make a space shuttle.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Got it thanks.

Have not seen the south pole episode yet.
Just watched the tractor challenge, and the one they tried to make a space shuttle.

Wait till; you see the one were they went through the deep south in American & nearly got lynched :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Cookie wrote:Wait till; you see the one were they went through the deep south in American & nearly got lynched :lol:

I think it taped this episode last night, not sure. Wrestling was on, so that gets top priority since it is live. I like this DVR thing, only took me a few years to get on the bandwagon :mrgreen:

I did watch the episode with the Aston Martin V, man that is a sweet ride. I can see myself in one of those. Too bad it has gear box problems. I can never understand why manufactures under engineer stuff like that. I mess with Jeeps a lot and they are famous for it.
It does make me feel good when I can't get something working right in the garage though if a manufacturer can't get something right out of the factory.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 pm

old er aston had the first lot of flappy paddle gearr selectors, they where the problem
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 am

samurai69 wrote:old er aston had the first lot of flappy paddle gearr selectors, they where the problem

Unless this was a really old episode, it seems they are still the problem. They mentioned they had fixed it with that years upgrades, but in the end they still had to send it back to the factory 3x just to get a timed lap. Real shame because that was a sweet ride.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:04 am

Melas Zomos wrote:
samurai69 wrote:old er aston had the first lot of flappy paddle gearr selectors, they where the problem

Unless this was a really old episode, it seems they are still the problem. They mentioned they had fixed it with that years upgrades, but in the end they still had to send it back to the factory 3x just to get a timed lap. Real shame because that was a sweet ride.

i think you are afew years behind, but would say from newer episodes its become more of a norm in performance cars to have flappy paddle boxes and they are either much improved or tolerated as they are not mentioned that much, last Aton test was this year i think or very late last year

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:32 pm

samurai69 wrote:i think you are afew years behind, but would say from newer episodes its become more of a norm in performance cars to have flappy paddle boxes and they are either much improved or tolerated as they are not mentioned that much, last Aton test was this year i think or very late last year

That is possible, they are mixing the old episodes in with the new ones. I just programmed the dvr to tape them all. I will pay more attention to the dates.
I have never tried out flappy paddles, my only experience with the like was a 72 Hemi Charger that a friend picked up from a handicapped person and it had something similar on the steering wheel. Unfortunately he never let me behind the wheel to try out the handicapped controls, but it was superior on the track because of that ability and the fact it was a hemi. This was probably the basis of what they have developed into.

Anyone have experience with flappy paddles?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:
samurai69 wrote:i think you are afew years behind, but would say from newer episodes its become more of a norm in performance cars to have flappy paddle boxes and they are either much improved or tolerated as they are not mentioned that much, last Aton test was this year i think or very late last year

That is possible, they are mixing the old episodes in with the new ones. I just programmed the dvr to tape them all. I will pay more attention to the dates.
I have never tried out flappy paddles, my only experience with the like was a 72 Hemi Charger that a friend picked up from a handicapped person and it had something similar on the steering wheel. Unfortunately he never let me behind the wheel to try out the handicapped controls, but it was superior on the track because of that ability and the fact it was a hemi. This was probably the basis of what they have developed into.

Anyone have experience with flappy paddles?

we used to run an old model c with a jaguar hemi engine in it, it had a 3 lever box in that, no flappy paddles, just slammed each lever down when it was time to change gear

i never tried the flappy paddle box, though the porche i drove a while ago had one of those knock down auto boxes....closest thing i have driven apart from the old citreon my dad had, that had a pre select gear box, very weird to drive as you put the car in gear and when you actually wanted to use the gear you dipped the cluth and it dropped into gear

very odd

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:36 pm

The latest episode run here was when they went to Norway to tryout a Combine/Plow for the snow. It was actually pretty funny. I still can’t get used to the subtle differences in languages. The “gritter” sounds odd to my ears, lol.

Really liked the look of that paint on the M3 upgrade, but having to wipe the bugs off immediately :shock: come on.

I also saw an episode where they raced an audi up a mountain against a speed climber. Man that spider monkey was impressive climbing that cliff. Unbelievable stuff with that cat. I was blown away.

They also ran an episode where they had to each buy a supercar from a magazine for 10,000lbs or less. When they talked about how much it cost to insure them they all mentioned that occupation affected the cost of insurance and two of them lied that they were not journalists to get a cheaper quote.
Do the insurance companies for autos over there alter their rates according to your occupation? (aside from say truck driver, or race car driver)
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Next

Return to General Discussion