It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:58 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

One to watch

Agora : the Public Space

Re: One to watch

Postby steve1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 pm

i couldn't begin to imagine the mental focus you would have to have to be able to do that and heres me thinking i cant be arsed to get up at 5.30 tomorrow morning and go for a run before work lol think its time i got my mental focus back and get on with it
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:39 pm

Scott wrote:Listen out for a quote from his brother (also a doctor) who is talking about the research they done on ultras and Im sure he says "the textbooks state that muscles breakdown after 4 consectutive marathons"
I dont think we'll be seeing that quote printed on the front cover of 'muscle & fitness' anytime soon LOL!!

Heard that & what got me interested was, by the look of the film, he ate insane amounts of carbohydrates. If muscle tissue breakdown was an issue then you would have thought that getting in adequate amounts of protein would be paramount. You see it all the time in the running rags, ad after ad for carbohydrates & the same with meal planning with protein coming a very poor second best.

steve1 wrote:i couldn't begin to imagine the mental focus you would have to have to be able to do that and heres me thinking i cant be arsed to get up at 5.30 tomorrow morning and go for a run before work lol think its time i got my mental focus back and get on with it

Get off your arse, get ya Bovril down ya & off ya go ;-)
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Cookie wrote:Heard that & what got me interested was, by the look of the film, he ate insane amounts of carbohydrates. If muscle tissue breakdown was an issue then you would have thought that getting in adequate amounts of protein would be paramount. You see it all the time in the running rags, ad after ad for carbohydrates & the same with meal planning with protein coming a very poor second best.

Although the guy is a doctor and obviously far more intelligent than the likes of me it does add to the impression I have that a lot of runners could really do with looking at different sports and applying some different approaches. Not all runners obviously but theres a lot Ive seen / read about who seem to be following kinda dated or out of touch nutritional theories.

On the flipside, Dean Karnasas never ceases to impress me with some of his ad hoc nutrition. I just finished a sample of his new book 'Run!' (only available on kindle just now, its out soon on paperback) He mentioned stopping at a convienience store at like 3am and instead of buying the likes of gatorade he got that powder you mix in water that you take after a dose of the shits / vomiting (cant remember the name) he just emptied it into his water bladder and battered on into the night. :smt023

btw cookie, avoid that 'zen running' book..... its pish.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Scott wrote:Although the guy is a doctor and obviously far more intelligent than the likes of me it does add to the impression I have that a lot of runners could really do with looking at different sports and applying some different approaches. Not all runners obviously but theres a lot Ive seen / read about who seem to be following kinda dated or out of touch nutritional theories.

Why they don`t sip on whey or a BCAA based drink is beyond me. I would be tempted to load up on a slow burning protein style shake at the beginning of such a run & sip BCAA`s along the way with carbs. Then afterwards just go hell for leather on the PRO/CHO based foods to refule glycogen stores & stave off as much muscle damage as possible.

Scott wrote:On the flipside, Dean Karnasas never ceases to impress me with some of his ad hoc nutrition. I just finished a sample of his new book 'Run!' (only available on kindle just now, its out soon on paperback) He mentioned stopping at a convienience store at like 3am and instead of buying the likes of gatorade he got that powder you mix in water that you take after a dose of the shits / vomiting (cant remember the name) he just emptied it into his water bladder and battered on into the night. :smt023

I know the drink & have used them myself. SiS have their own version out which is pretty good.

Scott wrote:btw cookie, avoid that 'zen running' book..... its pish.

Will do.

Piling through Sir Roger Bannister`s book at the moment which has some nice snippets in there.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:29 am

Cookie wrote:
Why they don`t sip on whey or a BCAA based drink is beyond me. I would be tempted to load up on a slow burning protein style shake at the beginning of such a run & sip BCAA`s along the way with carbs. Then afterwards just go hell for leather on the PRO/CHO based foods to refule glycogen stores & stave off as much muscle damage as possible.

you need to find a good ish runner and get them doing that and see whats what

./
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Previous

Return to General Discussion