It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:06 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Royal Wedding

Agora : the Public Space

Re: Royal Wedding

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:09 am

Melas Zomos wrote:What are your guys take on the Royal Wedding?
I am just wondering if it is as big a deal to you, personally, as the media is portraying it to be over here. The media seems to paint a picture that you are all swooning and in all awe ready to take the day off and travel hundreds of miles to line the streets to pay homage.

Not trying to be disrespectful or anything, just trying to figure out how it really is.

Americans puzzle me.

They get the French & Dutch to help them kick the Monarchy out of the new territories then have a obsessive fascination in all things English & the English Monarchy :-k

Make your minds up [-X
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Cookie wrote:Americans puzzle me.
They get the French & Dutch to help them kick the Monarchy out of the new territories then have a obsessive fascination in all things English & the English Monarchy :-k
Make your minds up [-X

That is generated more by the media and the current fad of celebratism flooding the worlds.
Of course the success of the Tudors on Showtime helped too. Over the last couple of decades history, as taught in schools, has changed dramatically and little is taught concerning history as you and I would call it. You would be hard pressed to find someone in school (public) today who
could even tell you what the "Acts of Union" were, or even about Alexander the Great unless they happened to come across it on a fictional movie or tv series.

Personally I am with Scott on this one all the way, but then again I have Scottish roots too if you go back in the family tree a little ways. ;-)
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:That is generated more by the media and the current fad of celebratism flooding the worlds.Of course the success of the Tudors on Showtime helped too. Over the last couple of decades history, as taught in schools, has changed dramatically and little is taught concerning history as you and I would call it. You would be hard pressed to find someone in school (public) today who could even tell you what the "Acts of Union" were, or even about Alexander the Great unless they happened to come across it on a fictional movie or tv series.

I`ve always been under the impression that all Americans believed that the historic films on celluloid were completely true & that the world was flat, nothing existed outside of America & America invented everything :mrgreen:

On a more serious tone. We suffer with the same problem here. So much history but because we kicked everyone`s butt, ruled over a quarter of the planet it has to hidden & considered shameful. Never mind the great inventors that flourished during those times who get very little exposure these days.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:17 am

“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:22 am

That`s good =D>

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby trowel » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:24 am

i have nothing against them personally and they do bring money into the country but i have no interest other than that.

being self employed though i lost a days money yesterday as the construction sites that i have work on decided to shut down.
we are in or supposed to be coming out of a recession,wages are low and things are expensive.some very wealthy and priveliged people get married and some of us lose money.it doesn't seem quite ballanced somehow.
now i have to go and hunt food from royal land in order to eat this week,robin hood 2011. :lol:

however i did use the forced day off to clear nearly a lorry load of hardcore from my garden,it was a good workout too.

good luck to them both though,they come accross pretty well.if i had a choice i wouldn't want their life to be honest being constantly watched.

nick.
trowel
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 pm

trowel wrote:i have nothing against them personally and they do bring money into the country but i have no interest other than that.

being self employed though i lost a days money yesterday as the construction sites that i have work on decided to shut down.
we are in or supposed to be coming out of a recession,wages are low and things are expensive.some very wealthy and priveliged people get married and some of us lose money.it doesn't seem quite ballanced somehow.
now i have to go and hunt food from royal land in order to eat this week,robin hood 2011. :lol:

however i did use the forced day off to clear nearly a lorry load of hardcore from my garden,it was a good workout too.

good luck to them both though,they come accross pretty well.if i had a choice i wouldn't want their life to be honest being constantly watched.

nick.

Very good points.

How did you feel after the "hardcore" workout :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby trowel » Sat May 07, 2011 6:54 am

"hardcore workout" :lol:
very good.

i was fine afterwards,it's quite often i get days doing that kind of work.
it's one of the good things about the work that i do,plenty of excersise and getting paid to do it.when i get days of heavier work such as digging or laying concrete i do sometimes lay off the strength training for a bit.i use them to kind of supplement each other.

as long as i keep away from the standard builder food such as chips and chocolate for lunch it seems to work quite well.

nick.
trowel
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Mon May 09, 2011 4:26 pm

trowel wrote:"hardcore workout" :lol:
very good.

i was fine afterwards,it's quite often i get days doing that kind of work.
it's one of the good things about the work that i do,plenty of excersise and getting paid to do it.when i get days of heavier work such as digging or laying concrete i do sometimes lay off the strength training for a bit.i use them to kind of supplement each other.

as long as i keep away from the standard builder food such as chips and chocolate for lunch it seems to work quite well.

nick.

You must be the first builder I have ever heard of not to indulge in chips, chocolate, lucozade & fry ups :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby trowel » Wed May 11, 2011 5:25 am

i do get some odd looks from some of the people i work with,comments like"i don't know how you can do a days work on eating (fruit,fish,chicken or whatever)"."you're not f**king normal".2why don't you ever eat chips?".

they also find it strange that i'll go for a run before work or do some training after work too.it seems to throw them that i'm not a big bloke either.a high fat percentage or beer gut seems like a badge of honour for some.
it's a strange world. :grin:

nick.
trowel
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Sat May 14, 2011 6:40 am

trowel wrote:i do get some odd looks from some of the people i work with,comments like"i don't know how you can do a days work on eating (fruit,fish,chicken or whatever)"."you're not f**king normal".2why don't you ever eat chips?".

they also find it strange that i'll go for a run before work or do some training after work too.it seems to throw them that i'm not a big bloke either.a high fat percentage or beer gut seems like a badge of honour for some.
it's a strange world. :grin:

nick.

I`ve experienced the exact same attitudes for the last 20 odd years :lol:

It still amazes me that there are huge amounts of people out there that continually follow a certain stereotypical diet based on the job they do or social background.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby trowel » Sun May 15, 2011 7:27 am

about twenty years is the amount of time i've had to put up with it too,i hit forty this year.i've given up trying to explain myself. :roll:
it does seem worth the effort we put in when i come across younger people that struggle to work all day.to me that's evidence enough.

i must admit to being a boozy builder a long time a go,it's still easy to do now but i keep it under control and leave it to certain occasions.
a lot that i've worked with would finish work friday lunch time and be straight in the pub and still there at closing time in their work clothes.

nick.
trowel
Helot
Helot

Previous

Return to General Discussion