It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:14 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Long Time

Agora : the Public Space

Re: Long Time

Postby Cookie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:19 pm

That above post is why I've missed ya buddy ;-)

Lots to think about & digest there. Some of the stuff I'll ask about later. Very thought provoking. Pushed for time at the moment, just off to train, but will respond later tonight.

fits wrote:by the wway can we have a pain style forum so I can view at work! I am in an open plan office and I sit next to the project manager and I have to keep hiding the bloody great pictures of spartan warriors!!! lol

Changes are afoot my friend, changes are afoot. :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:54 am

gym visits good

own studio good

expos...............good but TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE and not IMO worth the price

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 am

fits wrote:I actually have some ideas for doing something like that, only I would like to have a base and maybe work with some one else that would like to visit gyms. There is a machine that I had a go of at that conference I mentioned where it measures the levels of carotenoids in your skin.
I have spoken with the guy since with a view to possibly working with them but just as I thought it I an MLM. Now that doesn't always mean its a bad thing but I am very sceptical about these things. When I was there they tried to sell me an expensive product that would bring my anti oxidant levels up fast etc and I am sure many people go for it but it put me off. Now the machine itself I like. When I asked him the actual meaning and effects of having higher carotenoid levels in the skin and what the product does he was wishy washy.... "people notice their hair looks better and fingernails grow faster and skin looks better and they have more energy"... which I thought just sounds like blurb, but they have to be careful what they actually say, and the claims they make. Over all there is some correlation between carotenoid levels and a likeliness to be injured etc which is quite interesting as well as low levels correlating with higher oxidative stress/inflammations etc which can be causative for just about every major disease.
It also gives some people a different focal point, like eat better to try to get your anti oxidant levels up as this is an indicator of over all health and likeliness of getting sick or getting a major disease.... while people are eating lots of veggies and some fruit and salads, they are not eating crisps..
This machine usually takes a £25 to £30 fee for a quick read and a chat. At events like the one I was at, they charge £10 and you can have people away within 5 to 10 minutes. Apart from being a novelty thing for allot of people, and a regular 3 monthly marker for others, maybe sports teams would be interested? go to a local Rugby club and have 30 blokes scanned and apparently you can tell who get injured regular. If there is an obvious correlation then maybe the team sign up, make nutritional changes and notice their scores go up and the team perform better and have less injuries / sickness etc.
I am also trying to enrol on a dark-field microscopy course where they look at your blood. Its quite interesting and you can actually see what's going on in the blood and its not just a 'score' so I like this. I would also offer food intolerance/allergy tests which can make a huge difference in general well being and help specific health issues, heavy metal toxicity, vitamin deficiency.... and I had not thought about body fat %. I thought those machines were inaccurate?

That is really interesting & something I would be very interested in reading / seeing more about given the issues I've had over the years with "niggles".
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:13 pm

@ Paul. yeah I think the conventions are a toughie. The guy doing the scanning did have a good lot of people go to him so it may have been worth it, but it is a bit of a risk. I said I might sign up and get involved in the business so he has been contacting me and I am now on his email list and I have an email Monday asking if I would be interested in sharing the cost of a space at some exhibition coming up and I can't remember how much it was but it was allot! He goes as not only is he selling scans but also the expensive 'lifepack' sups and also the business MLM concept. If he does 20 scans sells 5 people the supps that come with a monthly auto ship option and then he signs a couple of personal trainers up to also start scanning and selling.......it's a good days work for him.

@ Steve I will look on the site for some info on the sports injuries. HE said it to me but I'm not sure I have seen the studies. It does make sense but it took me a while to get my head around and I have not accepted it 100% but I am pretty convinced knowing what I do now about inflammation and disease. The thing that makes me sceptical is that 'Antioxidants' have become a buzz word and an industry selling point which makes me think - Con - as soon as I see it. Oxidation and anti oxidants are a real biochemical fact so we should not let the food, supplement and drug companies put us off with their marketing BS, you just have to dig a little deeper for the truth most of the time. If I find paper work can I post on here or do I email it?
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:17 pm

fits wrote:@ Steve I will look on the site for some info on the sports injuries. HE said it to me but I'm not sure I have seen the studies. It does make sense but it took me a while to get my head around and I have not accepted it 100% but I am pretty convinced knowing what I do now about inflammation and disease. The thing that makes me sceptical is that 'Antioxidants' have become a buzz word and an industry selling point which makes me think - Con - as soon as I see it. Oxidation and anti oxidants are a real biochemical fact so we should not let the food, supplement and drug companies put us off with their marketing BS, you just have to dig a little deeper for the truth most of the time. If I find paper work can I post on here or do I email it?

Post on here by all means.

BTW not sure if you noticed we'd added a blog page to the site whilst you'd been busy elsewhere.

http://www.spartan-warriors.co.uk/training/

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Previous

Return to General Discussion