It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:51 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Cramps - muscle spasms

Agora : the Public Space

Cramps - muscle spasms

Postby samurai69 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:06 am

over the last few days (nights -whilst sleeping) i have had a couple of extreme cramps in the calf muscles

It seems to have been aggravated by my cycling (bike)

what causes these sorts of cramps and what can i do with out resorting to additional supplementatin

Is it the heat or maybe partly due to poor hydration or one of the salts from sweating.

wife also had a similar cramp the same night

:?:
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Takmaster » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:20 am

:grin: :lol:

lol, just been talking about the same thing mate!!

I'd put it down to a lose of +ions in your system due to dehydration.
Your body uses +ions to balance water uptake in the kidneys, when these +ions are low it will take them from around the body. If you have worked a muscle then the ions may already be depleted. Ions major role are being resposnsible for opening and closing cells, allowing pathways to run and mechanisms to be activated to illicit various cellular reactions. No ions no opening and closing and muscle cells can stay in a stretched position until they get ions levels balanced again to close the cell.

Adding an electrolyte drink or food rich in Mg (magnesium), K (potasium) or Na (Sodium) into the diet should help out.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Re: Cramps - muscle spasms

Postby Cookie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:22 am

samurai69 wrote:over the last few days (nights -whilst sleeping) i have had a couple of extreme cramps in the calf muscles

It seems to have been aggravated by my cycling (bike)

what causes these sorts of cramps and what can i do with out resorting to additional supplementatin

Is it the heat or maybe partly due to poor hydration or one of the salts from sweating.

wife also had a similar cramp the same night

:?:

I would say probably the het and sweating lots of minerals out, but if your putting in plenty of water then maybe there could be a chance that your flushing extra mins down the toilet through urine...

I would maybe try an extra mineral/salt type supplement and maybe something like Dyralyte(sp) type drink after training to help replace salts..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:27 am

:eek:

Just getting changed and realised I have forgotten me old mate Calcium, Ca, God love it.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:12 am

good points.........maybe dyralite on days where i have worked/sweated particularly hard

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Return to General Discussion