It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Today in the papers

Agora : the Public Space

Re: Today in the papers

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:12 pm

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Saw that in the news today. Shall definitely be going and finding a stream online for it. Could be very good or very bad haha
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 am

lil john wrote:Saw that in the news today. Shall definitely be going and finding a stream online for it. Could be very good or very bad haha

should end up on you tube .... will be worth watching either way
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Its getting streamed live on the Oprah Winfrey website but as you say it'll make its way onto Youtube. Looking forward to watching it. I hope he does come clean & rips ten bells out of those that did the dirty on him.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:42 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:01 am

you wear them running
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 pm

samurai69 wrote:

you wear them running

I wear shorts over mine & they're not stripy.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Mixed in with a load of other stuff about the recent weather conditions.

A postman collapsed and died on his round as he battled to free his Royal Mail van after the vehicle became stuck in a deep snowdrift, it emerged today.

John Bircham, of Dulverton, Somerset, suffered a heart attack as he fought through the snow and icy conditions on Saturday, a Royal Mail source said.

Exmoor was one of the worst hit areas by the snow and ice at the weekend - and drift caused huge problems, completely blocking main roads. Royal Mail manager Ian Frankum, his boss, said Mr Bircham had been a postman for 24 years and worked out of the Dulverton delivery office on Exmoor.

Mr Frankum said: ‘It is with great sadness that colleagues at the Dulverton delivery office learned of the death of postman John Bircham at the weekend. He was a valued member of staff. He will be sorely missed by his colleagues and our deepest sympathies go out to his family at this sad time.’

Chris Nelder, a Dulverton town councillor, said: ‘This has come as quite a shock and news of Mr Bircham’s death has obviously spread very quickly through the area where he was very well known. He was delivering out towards East Anstey.

'As I understand it was stuck in a snowdrift and was unable to get any traction on the tyres of his van. A farmer who was out in his tractor came to his aid and had offered to tow him out. But despite his best efforts, and the first responder locally and the air ambulance, Mr Bircham couldn’t be revived.

'He was Dulverton born and bred and had had a delivery round in and around the town for 25 years so he knew an awful lot of people and they knew him even if only by sight travelling around the lanes.’

John Atkins, secretary of the amateur Dulverton Town Football Club, confirmed Mr Bircham was a former player and committee man who was a tireless fundraiser. He added: ‘John was very well liked and will be sorely missed. It has been a great shock to hear of his death.’

A local Post Office source said: ‘I think the road was blocked by a fallen tree and Mr Bircham was trying to get round it when he got stuck in a drift. He was trying to clear the snow from under his back wheels to reverse out and go back down the lane. As usual he was doing his utmost to make sure the post got through.’

Last night, Mr Bircham’s widow, Wendy, was being comforted by the couple’s two sons. She was said to be too upset to talk.’

Brian Edworthy, Mr Bircham’s brother-in-law, said: ‘She would like to be left alone at this difficult time.’

Another family source added: ‘At the moment it is still not clear why John died. We are awaiting the results of a post mortem and for the body to be released. Until then we won’t know what the precise cause of death was.

'We are assuming it was probably some sort of heart attack but we are not sure and we really don’t know if it was due to the circumstances he found himself in with his van.

'John was stuck in the snow and had been digging around but the farmer who went to his aid didn’t report him being red faced and sweating or puffing and panting or anything like that.

‘He offered to pull John out after he had only been digging for a short while but before he could climb back into the driver’s seat to be towed out he just slid down the wing of the car and onto the ground.

'The farmer attempted to resuscitate him together with another farm worker who came out but when the worker checked they could not seem to get any pulse. When the paramedics arrived it was the same. It was too late.’

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 pm

A very bizarre situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21459240

And now they're after Cipollini :shock:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coni-to ... llegations

How about just scrapping all wins for the last 50 years & just moving on. Its starting to look like someone has an axe to grind :roll:

But I would like one of these :mrgreen: :finga:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 am

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 am

Cookie wrote:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/10/scientists-suggest-beer-after-workout/#.USRSIq-QMnw.facebook

after a long bike ride in portugal we would often stop for a beer or alcohol free beer and TBH both quenched the thirst better than water and did feel a little better, but not too many (have been known to fall off bike after pub rest stops in uk)

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion