General Discussion

Stress test

Agora : the Public Space

Stress test

Postby Cookie » Tue May 01, 2012 6:45 pm

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/labuk/experiments/compete/

I'll do it tomorrow.

Don't be shy & post up your results :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Stress test

Postby Cookie » Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Tried to get on but only got past first section. Thinking it getting overloaded & the various sections aren't loading properly. 18 sections in total to do for the test.

Will try again tomorrow.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sun May 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Best time: 45.3 seconds

Consistency: Medium

Improvement: Medium

Best performance was when I indicated I felt fatigued. From that its suggested that when I'm in competition & I feel like I'm not doing my best to remember that I can pull the best out of myself when I am fatigued.

I don't use "suppression" to control negative emotions. And I don't use the "reappraisal" technique either.

Visualisation was used during my final two rounds but it didn't improve performance. Suggested I work more on that.

Overall it was quite revealing & I should do things like that more often as I prep for races & work on the mental aspect of my game.

Right post up your own results :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Your performance data
'The Grid' is a scientifically-designed game which tests how well you focus and how you deal with pressure. On this page you can find out how you performed in each round, how much you improved with practice, and how consistent your performances were.
Your best time and round
Your best performance came in round four.
This was the final round of ‘The Grid’. Putting in your best performance in this round suggests that you are someone who can raise your game for the closing stages of a contest. A valuable skill for any competitor.
Consistency

You scored HIGH for consistency.
This means that you got very similar times across all the rounds of the ‘The Grid’. This suggests you can sustain the same level of performance across different competitive situations. However, it could indicate that you have difficulty improving your performance. Learning from your mistakes is an important part of performance under pressure.

Consistency is a hallmark of people who perform well when it really counts. People who perform consistently in practice have a much better chance of carrying that performance level into pressurised situations.
Improvement

You scored MEDIUM for improvement.
This indicates that your performance level across the four rounds of ‘The Grid’ increased at roughly the same rate as most others, given the same amount of practice.

Reflecting on past experiences in order to learn how to do better next time is an effective way of improving performance in high-stakes situations.
Efficiency

You scored HIGH for efficiency.
This was calculated by comparing the number of correct clicks on your four rounds of ‘The Grid’ to the number of mis-clicks or wrong clicks.

A high score indicates that you are someone who knows how to conserve your effort, staying calm, and focused on your goals. It may be that you are someone who does not waste energy on unproductive activity.

Of course, ‘The Grid’ was only part of ‘Can you compete under pressure?’ On the following pages you can explore your results from all the other parts of the test.

Next: What's your key emotion? >
What's your key emotion?
Being aware of your own feelings, and remaining in control of them, is a key part of getting the best out of yourself in intense situations. Some feelings – such as high anxiety - can stifle performance while others – such as excitement – can help you rise to a challenge.

‘Can you compete under pressure?’ asked you to predict how you might feel during a good performance by asking you about past performances. Your actual feelings before each round of ‘The Grid’ were measured by asking the same questions.

The graph shows the emotions you felt during your best round of ‘The Grid’ and compares it to your prediction. What are the key differences and similarities between the two?
Your optimum mood was Happiness
Your best performance on ‘The Grid’ came when you were feeling HAPPY.

Happiness can be a signal that all feels right in your world. Performances flow with ease and we’re less likely to dwell on problems. Concentrating on something positive from your life can help to generate happy feelings. Remembering happy and content moments can make you perform better. Next time you’re under pressure to perform, you might find that using these banks of memories is a way to get the best out of yourself.

That matches what you predicted – you thought your best performances came when you felt happy. So it looks like you're someone who understands your own emotional state and how to use it to help you perform. When you are in competitive situations, you’ll go through a range of emotions. You need to understand them and use them, if you’re going to be at your best.

A swing in mood can help you win?
Being aware of the feeling that brings out the best in you, and being able to generate those feelings at the right moment is a powerful technique. But experiencing high levels of any particular emotion during competition could be, to some degree, due to your usual character and outlook. So recognising the most significant change in your emotions from when you performed well to when you performed badly, is very important.

Your most significant emotion
When you put in your best performance on ‘The Grid’, the biggest change in your emotional profile was the decrease in your level of fatigue. Perhaps remembering this feeling could be the key to performing at your best in future situations.

Knowing how to deal with your emotions is important for athletes like Dai Green
But performance under pressure is not just about good performances. Those who succeed in intense situations know how to deal with difficult emotions when they arise. In the next section you can find more about how you can best deal with negative emotions.
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon May 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Beat you on the speed aspect of The Grid :supz: :mrgreen: :butthead:

On a serious level, what did you think of the test as a whole?

Your a bit more clued on this stuff than me. I might do the test again in a few weeks time to see if there's any improvement(s).

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Cookie wrote:Beat you on the speed aspect of The Grid :supz: :mrgreen: :butthead:

On a serious level, what did you think of the test as a whole?

Your a bit more clued on this stuff than me. I might do the test again in a few weeks time to see if there's any improvement(s).

was ok, will do it again in a few weeks too, was distracted as gym was open when i did it, but think the basics of it where accurate enough

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Return to General Discussion