It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:37 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Reintroduction.

Agora : the Public Space

Reintroduction.

Postby Pandrus » Sun May 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm no stranger to the site, but now have decided to get involved.

I have dabbled with fitness in the past but need to buck up my ideas and get into proper training. I'm trying to join the Army and need to get fitter and stronger.

I am currently starting Sam McGrath's Para Fitness guide, before you knock it as just another "Para=God" book take a look at it. I'm following this to build a base of fitness and should complete the programme in 24 weeks.

What I am looking for is encouragement as well as some advice on weight lifting and other methods of building strength and on nutrition (general eating as well as some info on these protein shakes), I'm a complete novice when it comes to either of these.

Any and all positive or constructive comments welcome.

Pandrus
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body!
Pandrus
Helot
Helot

Re: Reintroduction.

Postby samurai69 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:06 pm

How far down the application process are you, is it Pars you want in on??
are goals just to pass fitness test or really improve things way beyond basics??

Hi by the way

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon May 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Pandrus,

Welcome back to the forum.

Had a quick look for the program you said you were going to follow & it seems to have had some decent reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitness-Trainin ... 1849085463 I don't know anything about the program but I would expect it to be well thought out if its done by a guy who ran the selection course for the Parachute regiment.

Don't worry about not getting any positive encouragement on here, that's what we are all about. If a member is willing to put themselves out there & do the hard graft then we'll be there every step of the way with you so that you achieve your goals.

I would suggest giving us an insight into your current fitness levels, what your doing at the moment training wise & what your eating each day to help you with this goal.

By the way, in September I'll be running 2 Para's 10 mile course they use as part of their selection process ;-)

Good luck with your own goal.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Pandrus » Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 pm

I did get to quite a decent level of fitness before tearing all the ligaments in my ankle about a year and a half ago, since healing I've yo-yo'ed in and out of training.

My exact level of phys now is:
Push Ups (2 mins): 35
Sit Ups (2 mins): 30
Pull Ups: 1/2 of one :D
Flexibility Test: 6 cm
1 1/2 Mile Run: 11.03

Pretty weak but its a starting point.

I know enough about cardio to know how to get my run time down, but how do I train myself to do Pull Ups? (short of hanging below a bar willing myself to get up there!)

I'm planning on posting my test results up here when I take them, every 4 weeks for the next 24 weeks.

I'm not planning on being a Para I'm interested in Gunners or Sappers, but both have ready access to the all arms parachute course which would be good to have under my belt while I'm still young.
Pandrus
Helot
Helot

Postby Pandrus » Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Sorry I realise I didn't really answer your question I want to improve beyond basic phys, but I have a while to get to a good base level.

Cookie: Good luck with the 10 Miler, is that the one in Catterick?
Pandrus
Helot
Helot

Postby samurai69 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 am

do you train at home or a gym and what equipment is available

the tests themselves to get in are quite easy, to ber really good is the key

J at the gym was 16+ stone when he came in couldnt do a single pullup..........he got through the fitness test easily a year later and bangs out 10 rep sets of pullups at a
bout 13 stone now

he is on here so will correct me if i am out too much

the grease the grove method worked for him regarding pullups as well as weighted singles, negatives and assisted pullups
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 am

Agree with the above.

Look up "Grease the Groove" training by Pavel Tsatsouline & consider only doing negative pull ups / chins for the next 2 weeks to build up some basic strength in those muscles. Use a chair/bench to help you get to the top position & then slowly lower yourself down over about 4 seconds into a full hang & then repeat the whole process again by using the chair to get to the top.

We are about 20% stronger in the eccentric (negative) aspect so you can use that to help you get stronger in the concentric. Give that a go for 2 weeks then consider adding in a set or two of partial rep pull-ups / chins were you just do the top part of the exercise & as you get stronger you'll notice you can lower yourself further each time you do it.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue May 15, 2012 10:03 am

Pandrus wrote:Cookie: Good luck with the 10 Miler, is that the one in Catterick?

Yeah up at Catterick.

Might be worth you doing it yourself to see how your fitness is coming along.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Pandrus » Tue May 15, 2012 2:46 pm

"Yeah up at Catterick.

Might be worth you doing it yourself to see how your fitness is coming along."

I'll look into it. Its far enough away to see some real progress too.

I'll check out those methods on the forum.

Cheers guys.
Pandrus
Helot
Helot

Return to General Discussion