It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:56 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Olympics

Agora : the Public Space

Olympics

Postby Cookie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:57 pm

What's everyone's opinion of them thus far?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Olympics

Postby samurai69 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:08 pm

good apart from london being empty
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Enjoying what I fan catch. Weghtlifting is always entertaining for me. Bit of basketball. Springs started now so all good. Some dubious media about it though
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 pm

John you should be able to catch up with the weightlifting on the BBC website.

Grumpy: I don't know what your complaining about London being empty, us lot up north have contributed just as much tax wise to the games & we'll see sod all back from it unlike all those down south.

Overall I'm quite enjoying it. Normally do like watching athletics but its good to see some other sports as well. Missed the handball other day which I heard on the radio was pretty wild.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Gee, you mean there are other sports in the olympics other than swimming and gymnastics, and a smidgen of beach volleyball??? Wow, my tv has been lying to me all this time.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:39 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Gee, you mean there are other sports in the olympics other than swimming and gymnastics, and a smidgen of beach volleyball??? Wow, my tv has been lying to me all this time.

Poor coverage?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Gee, you mean there are other sports in the olympics other than swimming and gymnastics, and a smidgen of beach volleyball??? Wow, my tv has been lying to me all this time.

Poor coverage?

Not if you like seeing Gabby or Phelps. That is all they run during primetime. You really have to hit the off hour coverage to get anything else, seriously.

BTW, how is it that Phelps is allowed to compete? Is weed not on the banned substance list? Funny how they make no mention of that at all.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Not if you like seeing Gabby or Phelps. That is all they run during primetime. You really have to hit the off hour coverage to get anything else, seriously.

That is bad :shock:

I would have thought the US networks would have been all over something like the Olympics.

BTW, how is it that Phelps is allowed to compete? Is weed not on the banned substance list? Funny how they make no mention of that at all.

Justin Gatlin(sp) got busted twice for doping & is still competing in the 100m.

Phelps weed use has been mentioned over here.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:48 am

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Not if you like seeing Gabby or Phelps. That is all they run during primetime. You really have to hit the off hour coverage to get anything else, seriously.

That is bad :shock:
I would have thought the US networks would have been all over something like the Olympics.

Nah, it just seems that way as I tune it in at the same times every night and the same events are on. I would have to say since gymnastics ended it has improved a bit, but still it leaves much to be desired, they barely covered the decathalon and ran through the highlights uber fast and then dragged other events out. Off hours seem to be okay, but in previous Olympics they usually used to channels, the main channel to show the popular events and then a sister channel to show all the other stuff like judo, wrestling, boxing, weightlifting. They seemed to have done away with that and now want you to buy the interactive channel or hit youtube.

Justin Gatlin(sp) got busted twice for doping & is still competing in the 100m.

Phelps weed use has been mentioned over here.[/quote]
I think it got overlooked and squashed because of all his endorsements. Jeez he is in every other commercial on the tele here. Still can not figure it out, just does not seem right when other athletes are getting suspended or barred for other stuff, some less offensive than some smoke imo. Oh well, at least will not be having this discussion in four years :mrgreen:
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Well its nearly a week since it all finished & I have to say I really really enjoyed it.

The organisation was better than expected. Medal haul was greater than I gave the athletes credit for. And generally the coverage was pretty good even though some of the presenters were pretty naff as per BBC standards.

Still think it sucks that us northerners won't get as much of this "Olympic legacy" as the southerners will.

That's the Watford gap for you :roll:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to General Discussion