It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:35 am
Change font size

General Discussion

kidney's

Agora : the Public Space

kidney's

Postby lil john » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm after advice on looking after the kidneys how to keep them healthy, nutrients/ suppliments that work and what to avoid. Anyone got any advice?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: kidney's

Postby Cookie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 am

lil john wrote:I'm after advice on looking after the kidneys how to keep them healthy, nutrients/ suppliments that work and what to avoid. Anyone got any advice?

Plenty of water, but not too much, is usually the best place to start. Make sure your getting about 2 litres of just water everyday. Then look at cutting back on coffee/caffeine & fizzy/pop style drinks.

As with everything else make sure your getting a varied diet that's high in vegetables which help with delivering water, vitamins, minerals & fibre to aid with cleaning the body.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 am

cutting the cups of tea at work is the next stage then lol
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:55 pm

lil john wrote:cutting the cups of tea at work is the next stage then lol

I like green tea but I don't use teabag varieties. Much prefer the loose kind.

I take it your kidneys are giving you a bit of trouble?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Do not mess around with the kidneys!
If you think they are bothering you.
You should get a blood test to see where your creatine and bun levels are.

You need to drink a minimum of 1.5 liters of water daily. Not hydrating enough is the primary cause for kidney distress. Simply drinking more fluids usually resolves many issues.
Cranberry juice and Apple Juice are acceptable.
Tea is acceptable in moderate doses, green tea as mentioned above is preffered.

The big 3 that are of concern with the kidneys are Potassium/Sodium/Phosphorus.

Apples are probably the best thing to eat fruit wise, certain citrus like oranges are bad. Lemons are okay to eat. Tomatoes you may need to limit.
Oh and whatever you do DO NOT EAT STARFRUIT.
Starfruit will expose any underlying kidney issues in a heartbeat. It is bad, bad, bad news to anyone with even the slightest issue concerning the kidneys.

Nuts and dried fruit are no no’s

Try to eat as organic as you can, it does make a difference. I know all this because my significant other was diagnosed with Stage 5 kidney failure in January with a blood creatine level of 11.3 (1 or less is normal) and a Bun of over 100 (24 is normal). Trust me you do not want it going anywhere near there. It is a Bitch!

Another way to tell if your kidneys are distressed is through the monitoring of your blood pressure. It is not always accurate but if you are experiencing a rise in your blood pressure then that may mean the kidneys are stressed or clogging. Kidneys control your blood pressure. The harder they have to work to filter the higher they signal the body to pump blood into them to get it done.

Get a blood test if possible, really, and absolutely start hydrating yourself.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby lil john » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm just wanting to really start looking after myself. My mum was diagnosed with melas few years before she died. I'm gettin my results soon to see my level of mutation but one thing uis I really don't want to be on dialasis as it sucks.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Very good & informative post Melas.

I hope everything is now well with your other half?

lil john wrote:I'm just wanting to really start looking after myself. My mum was diagnosed with melas few years before she died. I'm gettin my results soon to see my level of mutation but one thing uis I really don't want to be on dialasis as it sucks.

Good to see you've got the intelligence to get these things checked out properly. Like the saying goes "a penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes, you want to avoid dialysis at all costs. It is just plain nasty. Most depressing place in the world, and in the US unlike Europe, we only do dialysis for 4hrs. UK is 8hrs or 100% clean.

Yes the wife is doing better. We got her off dialysis 5 weeks ago, and generally no one gets off dialysis once on. Her Creatine is 3.7 now and the Bun 79, still real high but slowly improving which is great news. She lost just about all her muscle on dialysis, so now it is starting from ground zero. Got her up to about a mile and half walk at night, and a 1/2 mile biking. This week we may introduce yoga to the mix.
She is a trooper, can't kill her that is for sure. Just a small complication in this thing called life, we all get them to one degree or another.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Yes the wife is doing better. We got her off dialysis 5 weeks ago, and generally no one gets off dialysis once on. Her Creatine is 3.7 now and the Bun 79, still real high but slowly improving which is great news. She lost just about all her muscle on dialysis, so now it is starting from ground zero. Got her up to about a mile and half walk at night, and a 1/2 mile biking. This week we may introduce yoga to the mix.
She is a trooper, can't kill her that is for sure. Just a small complication in this thing called life, we all get them to one degree or another.

Good to see things are on the up.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Witnessed dialasis at home when I used to set up for my mum, was 4 times a day, turn home night machine then hospital during Eeek. It is horrible and it is great news your better half is off it.

I shall take all your advice on boatd, Thankyou
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Return to General Discussion