It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:31 am
Change font size

General Discussion

the heart

Agora : the Public Space

Re: the heart

Postby Cookie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Great advice Cookie, just curious though about the "pint" of water in the morning. I certainly agree, was just wondering if your pint is equal to our pint which would be 16 ounces?

Imperial pint equals 20 fluid ounces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm

20 ounce's :shock:

That is a lot of water. How did you come up with this number? And your drinking this right after waking and before working out?
You need to do and hour of work to keep from peeing all day I would say.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:That is a lot of water. How did you come up with this number?

Read many times over the years to consume a pint of water upon waking. Some recommend warm water. I don't just down it in one as soon as I hit the off button. I sip it over about half an hour whilst I get ready for work & make breakfast. And remember we can loose up to a pint of fluid through sweat etc. whilst we are sleeping.

And your drinking this right after waking and before working out?

I normally shoot for around 3-4 litres of water each day because of my job & all the training I do. This'll be split between my wake up drink, water at work, when I'm training, with meals & right up to about 1 hour before bed. And now I'm heavily into endurance style events my water consumption is a lot higher. Monique Ryan in here book for endurance athletes recommends around 3.8 litres of water on non training days. Always drunk lots of water even as a child. Prefer water to any other drink.

You need to do and hour of work to keep from peeing all day I would say.

I do pee a lot :lol: but I sip my fluids. A lot of people seem to just down it in a few gulps. If I do gulp my water then I notice more trips to the toilet.

Try my way. Promise you'll notice a difference.

And its not my fault you ex members of the commonwealth have to have iddy piddy 16 ounces pints :mrgreen:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Gotcha, yeah (at the risk of opening my self up for a bashing) I am a gulper :mrgreen:
Will make an effort to convert over to being a sipper.

3-4 makes sense for endurance athletes, 1.5 is the minimum for the normal folk. 4 litres and I would have to install a cathera and gallon bag.

As far as the commonwealth goes, I will not argue on that one. Worst thing we did is never follow through on converting over the metric system and adopting universal standards but that is a rant for another thread I suppose.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:16 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Gotcha, yeah (at the risk of opening my self up for a bashing) I am a gulper :mrgreen:

I think you'll be presently surprised how effective just plain fresh water is when consumed properly early doors. I think it works much better than when lemon juice & honey added. those I've found are best left for when;

a) You've got a hang over.
b) Are full of cold.
c) Dehydrated because you didn't hydrate enough the day before.

3-4 makes sense for endurance athletes, 1.5 is the minimum for the normal folk. 4 litres and I would have to install a cathera and gallon bag.

I'm now of the thinking that all athletes, people who exercise to a decent level should be shooting for a minimum of 3 litres per day on non training days. You wouldn't believe the work S69 & Tak put into me with working out some major issues with my fluid intake/retention when I first started out running. That was long before I got into the distance work I now do. A lot of it was down to my work & the fact I can easily loose upwards of 2+ kilos whilst I'm out & about even in mild/cold weather. Once we hit summer its gets crazy what I can loose.

As far as the commonwealth goes, I will not argue on that one. Worst thing we did is never follow through on converting over the metric system and adopting universal standards but that is a rant for another thread I suppose.

Stick to being different. You don't want metric. Its just another means of making us all one & the same. Removing any sign of independence & national identity.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Gotcha, yeah (at the risk of opening my self up for a bashing) I am a gulper :mrgreen:

I think you'll be presently surprised how effective just plain fresh water is when consumed properly early doors. I think it works much better than when lemon juice & honey added. those I've found are best left for when;

a) You've got a hang over.
b) Are full of cold.
c) Dehydrated because you didn't hydrate enough the day before.

I can certainly give it a go, the honey water tonic for me is used primarly for allergy control, which it does work quite well for. I do not believe it matters when I take the raw honey, only that I do.

Cookie wrote:

I'm now of the thinking that all athletes, people who exercise to a decent level should be shooting for a minimum of 3 litres per day on non training days. You wouldn't believe the work S69 & Tak put into me with working out some major issues with my fluid intake/retention when I first started out running. That was long before I got into the distance work I now do. A lot of it was down to my work & the fact I can easily loose upwards of 2+ kilos whilst I'm out & about even in mild/cold weather. Once we hit summer its gets crazy what I can loose.

I will have to experiment with this more, I have been going back and forth with potential dehydration or not issues lately.
Been getting strange blood sugar readings lately and trying to determine if that is the link, but adding more electrolytes which at the early stages of my test seemed to be effective.

Cookie wrote:

Stick to being different. You don't want metric. Its just another means of making us all one & the same. Removing any sign of independence & national identity.

Yeah, well it is all fine and dandy until you got to work on a car and it is half metric, half standard, arghh!!!
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:I can certainly give it a go, the honey water tonic for me is used primarly for allergy control, which it does work quite well for. I do not believe it matters when I take the raw honey, only that I do.

I'm sure I read dehydration can bring on signs of allergies in the same way that it can contribute to asthma attacks.

I will have to experiment with this more, I have been going back and forth with potential dehydration or not issues lately.
Been getting strange blood sugar readings lately and trying to determine if that is the link, but adding more electrolytes which at the early stages of my test seemed to be effective.

Sounds like a lack of magnesium.

Yeah, well it is all fine and dandy until you got to work on a car and it is half metric, half standard, arghh!!!

Unfortunately I can yet again trump you on that one. Try working on 100+ year old machines that contain "home made" coach bolts. In other words the blacksmith made them up as & when required & no two were alike. ](*,)

We used to use metric, imperial & AF sizes but there was always one machine that had a "silly" sized bolt requirement somewhere along the line :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Cookie wrote:I'm sure I read dehydration can bring on signs of allergies in the same way that it can contribute to asthma attacks.
Very interesting, never heard that one.

Cookie wrote:Sounds like a lack of magnesium.
Anything is possible I suppose, I do take a very good multi though.

Cookie wrote:Unfortunately I can yet again trump you on that one. Try working on 100+ year old machines that contain "home made" coach bolts. In other words the blacksmith made them up as & when required & no two were alike. ](*,)

We used to use metric, imperial & AF sizes but there was always one machine that had a "silly" sized bolt requirement somewhere along the line :lol:

Well I helped repair the flux capacitor and the millenium falcon's hyper drive in addition to coming up with the discovery of worm hole time travel :mrgreen:

Well then I guess you can teach me black smithing too when I visit, going to be quite the vacation. May have to buy stock in opium afterwards, though.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:42 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Anything is possible I suppose, I do take a very good multi though.

I found a multi vit/min wasn't supplying anywhere near enough magnesium.

Well I helped repair the flux capacitor and the millenium falcon's hyper drive in addition to coming up with the discovery of worm hole time travel :mrgreen:

That would explain why the Millennium Falcon had so many issues in The Empire Strikes Back. It had been in your workshop :finga:

Well then I guess you can teach me black smithing too when I visit, going to be quite the vacation. May have to buy stock in opium afterwards, though.

Unfortunately they didn't teach me any blacksmithying. Just your bog standard welding etc :cry:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Previous

Return to General Discussion