It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:53 am
Change font size

General Discussion

the heart

Agora : the Public Space

the heart

Postby lil john » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:35 pm

After some general advice on looking after or getting the heart healthy. Or where to look?

Cheers
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: the heart

Postby Cookie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Do you mean via diet, cardiovascular training or supplements?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:12 am

Everything. A general thing really.
Another area I have been told to look after now so needing the info.

I know I need to loose my fat aswell to help the heart, but being obsessed with strength, which in a way is linked as I don't want the muscle diesease side to have effect in future, I'm unsure about cardio and vs strength gains.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:29 pm

lil john wrote:Everything. A general thing really.
Another area I have been told to look after now so needing the info.

I know I need to loose my fat aswell to help the heart, but being obsessed with strength, which in a way is linked as I don't want the muscle diesease side to have effect in future, I'm unsure about cardio and vs strength gains.

Generally you'll need to do some basic running for up to 60 minutes per session at a pace (as S69 always told me) were you can still hold a conversation without sounding out of breath.

Having a strong cardiovascular side will help immensely with your strength gains. I just keep the two workouts separate because they work the body differently.

Diet wise. Stay off processed foods. Tons of fresh vegetables. Oily fish for good oils. Try to keep stress under control/at bay. Plays havoc with blood pressure.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 pm

Ill have to work on the stress one though since moved been feeling a lot better.

Ill look at doing walking for an hour plus then for now.

I intend to lift 4 times a week, but I want to add in some sprinting work or some form of exercise like that aswell. Probably more anaerobic.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 am

lil john wrote:Ill look at doing walking for an hour plus then for now.

If at all possible try doing it first thing on a morning before breakfast after drinking a pint of water. It'll help with fitness & fat metabolism. Killing two birds with one stone. ;-)

I intend to lift 4 times a week, but I want to add in some sprinting work or some form of exercise like that aswell. Probably more anaerobic.

What you can do there then is a short session of sprint work before you do your weights. I would suggest a small number of sets, to begin with, of either some hill or flat sprints of about 30 seconds all out effort after a warm up. Then a 10 minute gentle cool down before you hit your weights.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 am

Couple questions.

Why 60mins still able to talk good for the heart?

Why morning before food to help fat matabalism?

Why before weights. And so if I do say a 5 min warm up and strech/ free my self up, sprints, 30sec on 30 second off, maybe start low amount and work up, then a 10 min jog down to a walk to cool down. Then hit the weights?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 am

lil john wrote:Why 60mins still able to talk good for the heart?

That's when the positive adaptations to the heart start to take place.

Why morning before food to help fat matabalism?

Yes & its a good way to wake up the body.

Why before weights. And so if I do say a 5 min warm up and strech/ free my self up, sprints, 30sec on 30 second off, maybe start low amount and work up, then a 10 min jog down to a walk to cool down. Then hit the weights?

If you do them after weights there is a greater risk of injury through bad form because your already tired. Plus the sprint work will fire up your CNS so once you start lifting you'll find yourself a little more explosive.

I would go with 60 seconds off. Everything else looks fine.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:33 am

Cheers.

Will look at adding all this into my routines.
Next year is going to be a good year for my training and health.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:39 am

Also thinking I could I could go down to dewsbury jfc and do sprints along the pitchs there as a pre exercise to lifting and some cardio/ conditioning
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:36 pm

lil john wrote:Also thinking I could I could go down to dewsbury jfc and do sprints along the pitchs there as a pre exercise to lifting and some cardio/ conditioning

Perfect place to do some sprint work. Nice I flat & if you fancied being very brave you could do some interval sprint work on the hill(s) coming up from Sands Lane :twisted:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Great advice Cookie, just curious though about the "pint" of water in the morning. I certainly agree, was just wondering if your pint is equal to our pint which would be 16 ounces?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Next

Return to General Discussion