It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 am
Change font size

All Things Running

Dewsbury 10k

Think Differently

Dewsbury 10k

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 am

A race organised by Dewsbury Road Runners.

The race is quite a flat course with an ever so small incline towards to turn around point.

After suffering a week of little sleep, had a cold virus since Wednesday, no distance training for over 2 weeks & no sprint work for the last 8 days things were no starting out too good.

Jogged a couple of miles to the changing area as part of my warm up then made my way to the start line. Plan was to just sit there & see how it goes which meant I ended up in the last 10% of the runners when the gun went off. 1125 runners in total. A minute later I could set the stop watch off to track my own time even though we are issued with electronic tags to record our gun times. As with the last race I did, Abbey dash, I spent a fair deal of time weaving in & out of those running at a slower pace than me. Which gets a little frustrating & dangerous at times, just ask the woman who ended up eating road surface a couple of places to the side of me :shock:

The wind was behind us as we set off & the road its run on is a bit of a wind tunnel so I knew it would get tougher on the way back. On the way out I kept a steady look on the heart rate monitor with it being in the region of high 160`s to mid 170`s for the first quarter. I knew these figures would not be 100% accurate because of the cold virus having an adverse affect on things. Running felt strong but breathing was difficult due to blocked nose & constantly taking in oxygen through the mouth was making sore throat sorer.

Passed a number of people & I am still amazed at how many just do not pace themselves correctly or start way too far forward on the start line for their abilities [-X A couple of battles ensued as some "runners" do not like it when someone who looks like a "non runner" breezes past them :lol: Around 1km from the turn around heart rate was up into the high 170`s with fluctuations into the 180 region. And I was starting to feel it at this point. Muscles felt strong but body was now aching with the cold. Breathing was steady & rhythmic, not overly laboured.

We hit the turn around & I had my eye on a few club runners, various clubs from surrounding districts entered, who were slightly in front & I could tag behind to help keep my pace up. By the 6-7km stage heart rate was into the 190`s & steady but breathing was requiring some effort. Picking off more & more people as the meters passed by & I have to admit a liking to passing club runners with their clubs vests on displaying where they are from. Such a lovely feeling to now that your VERY new & green to all this & with very little formal, structured training, at this point, your beating them :lol:

Brief looks at the stopwatch showed I was close to matching previous race time but it was going to take some effort during the final 2km stretch. At this point I was hurting, overheating, sweating badly & just wanted it over & done with. Tried to lift it up another notch with an eye on a certain runner for pace setting. This does help if they are slightly better than you. The final 1km was hard, breathing very deep & quick as I tried to get enough in. Heart rate in mid 190`s.

Got to the last 500m & the pace climbed a little more as it turned out, after a quick look at watch, that I was in a position to beat previous 10k time. As we rounded the corner I came right up behind the runner(s) I had been using for pace but decided not to blast past just for the sake of a couple of more seconds, body was really tired at this point so thought best to just hang there & not put any undue stress on it.

Crossed the finishing line with a self timed time of 44.15, 95 seconds faster than last time :grin:

Drenched in sweat I got my free bottle of water & handed over race tag to receive the customary race t-shirt to say you finished it.

All in all to say I was running at around 60% fitness I would say that was a result. :grin:

A great way to spend your Sunday morning & I look forward to next race (9 miler) in a little over a months time.

Spartan Runners © 2011 (because we don`t just run)
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Dewsbury 10k

Postby Scott » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:00 pm

well done mate. Chuffed to see that you were actually able to do the race after being ill!
would that be about 7:12 per mile on average? thats a decent time really, quite fast and you've not really been training for these all that long. Bodes well for future times!
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Scott wrote:well done mate. Chuffed to see that you were actually able to do the race after being ill!

Scott wrote:would that be about 7:12 per mile on average? thats a decent time really, quite fast and you've not really been training for these all that long. Bodes well for future times!

Yeah something like 7 miles. I find I`m quicker on the back leg than on the way out, seem to hang back a little so that nothings blows up on me & as confidence increases I ease up the speed slightly.

Goal is 40 minute mark for this year. Either in training or on a race.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Ive recently been road running over 'courses' Ive mapped out in my car so I actually know how many miles Im running for a change and its let me know first hand how fast you need to shift over the course of a mile to get various times. bit of an eye opener.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Scott wrote:Ive recently been road running over 'courses' Ive mapped out in my car so I actually know how many miles Im running for a change and its let me know first hand how fast you need to shift over the course of a mile to get various times. bit of an eye opener.

There`s a website that does that. http://www.mapmyrun.com/ not used it but it was recommended to me by a runner at work.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Gun time: 45:43 Position 353

Chip time 44:15 Rank 321

Next time I race I`ll be making an effort to start further up the field. Lets see how much quicker I can be without having to bypass others.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Cookie wrote:There`s a website that does that. http://www.mapmyrun.com/ not used it but it was recommended to me by a runner at work.

yeah I used that to map out my run home from work. Not too bad but I'll still double check witht he car.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Awesome job dude!
Did not sound like you were going to be able to make the race with that cold.

Do your feet feel better with your new shoes post race as opposed to the last time around?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Awesome job dude!
Did not sound like you were going to be able to make the race with that cold.

Thanks. Biggest issue I think had been the lack of sleep leading up to it. Was hoping I would be that tired afterwards that I would have just collapsed into bed that night. Unfortunatly it was not to be.

Melas Zomos wrote:Do your feet feel better with your new shoes post race as opposed to the last time around?

Hard to say, not done any distance work in about 2 weeks so feet felt it at the end because they had had such a long break.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Well done, that's an excellent time for that distance. :supz:
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:46 am

Chris wrote:Well done, that's an excellent time for that distance. :supz:

Thanks Chris.

It was tough going.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to All Things Running