It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:50 pm
Change font size

All Things Running

2013 Coal race

Think Differently

Re: 2013 Coal race

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:56 pm

lil john wrote:yeah might pop up and see it. atm im going to concentrate on running about a mile and try get it slowly down to a decent time once a week, and uping conditioning in the gym with the SM comp coming up. Plus a mate from Leeds is lifting in december in NW gbpf comp and im tempted to compete in that even though i imagine i will come dead last haha

Cardio 2-3 times per week is best IMHO either through steady state or sprint work. Both can be used to build aerobic conditioning.

And get entered into that comp the more experience you get the better & it may even help give your training a boost.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Sorry to hear this my friend, I know how much this race means to you and how much you look forward to it....and the camera time you get out of it ;-)

Seriously, it is a tough decision and every athlete comes across these types of decisions and temporary set backs due to injury or other issues. It is all part of the game. Sometimes it is just best to live to fight another day and you are making the right decision even though it may not seem so at times.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Sorry to hear this my friend, I know how much this race means to you and how much you look forward to it....and the camera time you get out of it ;-)

Seriously, it is a tough decision and every athlete comes across these types of decisions and temporary set backs due to injury or other issues. It is all part of the game. Sometimes it is just best to live to fight another day and you are making the right decision even though it may not seem so at times.

Cheers bud,

Perfect opportunity to get more camera time as I video my "comeback" for next years event :finga:

I've spoken to S69 about it before & some time out for 12 months is probably the best way to go. Mentally, physically & emotionally its been a rough 6 months & on some levels training & competing has lost some of its "fun".

A year being on the side lines as the races "roving reporter" could be fun. Should give me a whole new perspective for this years write up of the race.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am

There are actually two official coal races in the UK

World Coal Carrying Championships (Gawthorpe) which was the original & then there is the Scottish Coal Carrying Championships which was set up with approval from the Gawthorpe committee after a runner from Scotland did the race a few years back.

As you can see from the video the course is a lot different to the original race.

Race starts about 1 minute in.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:33 am

Good clip from last year.

http://www.7msport.com/video/20120412/360.shtml

You can see me in the black compression tights (silver on the side) at the start of the race.

Need to get off faster next time I race.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 am

you always look a little cautious on the starts....definately faster away
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:42 pm

A link to some photographs from this years race.

Taken from the top of the second hill

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ca46b5e47d

Taken on the flat towards the finish line

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 499&type=3

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:21 am

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 am

got a few mentions for New Spartan Gym for the photos again, always nice when they are appreciated
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Nice little video

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Previous

Return to All Things Running