It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:37 am
Change font size

All Things Running

speed intervals

Think Differently

speed intervals

Postby steve1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:14 am

as a complete noob I have a couple of questions
to start with should I pick a distance between two points and up my run pace for that distance then slow down and pick another point approx same distance further along my run ? should I just up the pace from my normal run speed or should it be more of a sprint ? should the pace be to the point were I have to stop to recover before continuing my run or be able to just slow down and recover wile running
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Re: speed intervals

Postby samurai69 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:44 pm

steve1 wrote:as a complete noob I have a couple of questions
to start with should I pick a distance between two points and up my run pace for that distance then slow down and pick another point approx same distance further along my run ? should I just up the pace from my normal run speed or should it be more of a sprint ? should the pace be to the point were I have to stop to recover before continuing my run or be able to just slow down and recover wile running

what are your goals for running??
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby steve1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:13 am

general fitness and lose weight
I do quite a bit of boxing/sparing and I find running does help with that especially with relaxed breathing but my main goal is fitness and weight loss now that I can actually run I enjoy it
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 am

steve1 wrote:general fitness and lose weight
I do quite a bit of boxing/sparing and I find running does help with that especially with relaxed breathing but my main goal is fitness and weight loss now that I can actually run I enjoy it

To be honest, Basic tabata format would be the best 20 seconds hard with a very light 10 second rest

do that in circuits of 5 upwards will raise metabolism increasing calorie burn and improve fitness at same time

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:22 am

Sam69

What have you found to be the best exercises to forgone tabata on

Sprint
Bike
Exercise bike
Think Dan John did one about front squats
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:39 pm

steve1 wrote:as a complete noob I have a couple of questions

I've done them from 10 seconds to 2 minutes all out efforts to just 10-60 seconds @ 60-80% max effort. Most of the time I'd rest for 2-3 minutes or my heart rate had dropped sub 120 bpm
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to All Things Running