It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:21 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Old school recipes

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Old school recipes

Postby Cookie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Scott wrote:I thought juicers / smoothies weren't very good? something to do with taking away the solidity of the food leaving you with too much sugar, in the case of fruit anyways. Drinking a glass of grapefruit juice isn't the same as eating a grapefruit :-k

All that crossed my mind too.

Scott wrote:what about the fruit smoothies? are you not just taking in far more of the fruits sugar than you would if you ate some solid fruit?

Done smoothies before with lots of fruit but I just don`t cope well with them & can see the fat getting layered down if I have them too often.

Scott wrote:yeah, so are you not just reducing the food to a fast acting carb?
I know some of the coaches on tnation are really against the smoothies because youre taking more fruit than you would eat in solid form and drinking loads of sugar, a lot more than you would get if you were eating it.
not sure about veg, how that works out.

After the intense concentration of vitamins & minerals from juicing the vegetables & aiming to get more nutrients into me than I could manage if I tried to eat all that veg in a day.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:28 am

1 bunch beetroot (I`ve used 3 today)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion (I used a red onion)
2 large carrots
3 celery stalks, sliced
4 vegetable stock cubes

Method
Cut leaves off beetroot, but do not cut into the beets themselves or this will cause them to bleed, place them in a pan of hot water & simmer for around 20 minutes or until the skins easily come away.

Peel & chop onions, carrots & celery, placing them in a large pan with the olive oil. Cooking them for around 5 minutes till onions become tender.

Once beetroot have cooled remove skins, chop & add to other ingredients.
Add the 4 stock cubes with 1-1.5 litres of water, cooking gently for 45-60 minutes till all vegetables are tender but not soft.

Remove from heat, blending in batches until smooth.

Serve with sour cream & freshly chopped chives.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Had this for breakfast twice this week :smt023

Alpine Eggs
2 eggs
Grated cheese
1 onion chopped
Butter or olive oil
Salt & pepper

Add chopped onion to heated frying pan with oil. Cook till slightly browned (coloured) then remove from heat & cover the bottom of an oven proof dish. Grate a layer of cheese over onions & crack 2 eggs over this. Add salt & pepper to taste whilst topping off the dish with a second layer of grated cheese. Place in a hot oven, cooking for 10-15 minutes.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:03 am

Eggs
Onion(s)
Pepper (various colours)
Tomatoes
Chilli (to taste)
Bay leafs
Salt Pepper
Olive oil

Chop peppers, tomatoes, onion(s) & chilli then fry gently in large frying pan with a dash of olive oil with bay leaves for 10-15 minutes. Make wells within the vegetable mixture & crack an egg into each well. Cover frying pan & cook (poach) for a further 5 minutes. Serve on own or with tortilla wrap.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:15 am

mate, you eat some odd things :grin:
with things like those alpine egos and the like Im surprised youre not getting more carbs down you in the mornings,considering your work load and the fact that you're lean as fook.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:26 am

Scott wrote:mate, you eat some odd things :grin:

Variety is the spice of life..I enjoy food & trying stuff, cereals bore the pants off me & should only be used after training ;-)

with things like those alpine egos and the like Im surprised youre not getting more carbs down you in the mornings,considering your work load and the fact that you're lean as fook.

Not as "lean" as I want to be/should be (trust me on this one) & need to increase overall calories not just those based around one nutrient. I liked the "concept" behind that article you posted regarding insulin responses being kept under control until needed (post training) or just before I set off out at work when I do need some extra CHO`s in there.

Next time I do the Alpine eggs it will be with a side serving of sautéed vegetables for added fibre & vitamin/mineral intake.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:47 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:38 pm

A bit of a bizarre recipe I`ve just come across in an old health & hints recipe booklet I recently bought.

Coughs:
1-lb Black Treacle
1/4-lb White Vaseline
Warm treacle & mix in Vaseline.
Children 1 teaspoonful 3 times per day
Adults 1 dessert spoonful 3 times per day

I`m not advocating this as a cure but it is amazing what I am finding in these old books/booklets.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon May 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Following on from the above quite strange use of treacle & vaseline to cure a cough I can across this one which I have actually used many years ago. Made up by my old nan :lol:

"Doctors strongly recommend this excellent spring medicine for old & young"

1/2lb black treacle
2-ozs flower of sulphur
Warm & mix together. If this is taken every morning it will purify the blood & clear the complexion.

Children 1 teaspoon on rising
Adults 1 dessertspoon on rising.

Can be taken by adults all the year, with beneficial results.

I was actually given this because of teenage spots :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Mon May 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Cookie wrote:
I was actually given this because of teenage spots :mrgreen:

did it work?
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Tue May 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Scott wrote:did it work?

I didn`t manage to use it long enough to find out. There were 1 or 2 issues :oops:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Following on from the Flowers of Sulphur posts above I purchased some handmade soap made from it. Have to say I have been very pleased with it for not drying out the skin like normal shop bought soaps do & for clearing up some issues I get from over heating at work & spots occurring. Its also supposed to be good for eczema.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition